Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ok fellow fly fisherman im 13 and i need some major help im going on a week long fishing trip with my dad and grandfather and i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok fellow fly fisherman im 13 and i need some major help im going on a week long fishing trip with my dad and grandfather and i

ok fellow fly fisherman im 13 and i need some major help im going on a week long fishing trip with my dad and grandfather and i made a bet that i would catch the most fish.... so i need some fly suggestions for the bear river in idaho so i can win the bet please help and thank u

First, make bets. lol, jk. Not familiar with Idaho but it never hurts to use terrestrials (crickets, ants, etc.), and minnow patterns. They work well almost everywhere. How big of a river is it?

Comment

I'd say to change your focus. The number of fish you catch doesn't matter when you're fishing with your dad and grandfather.

Comment

sorry, my first tip was "dont make bets"
        i've never won one, so i just stopped

Comment

Havent fished that river. I would go with a couple classic patterns. Wolly boogers always draw something out. Would stay away from the nymphs unless you see a late hatch of some thing. Biggest thing is to watch the river and see if there is any bugs on the surface. If so take what you have that looks the closest and go for it. If you dont have anything make something close trim some hackles shave something down etc. Good luck!

Comment

Practice casting as much as you can before you go. Remeber its all all bout timing

Comment

Check the fishing reports for that river. Call some of the fly shops in the area and talk to them. Maybe try some fishing guides as well. Best bait I can think of is real crickets. Split shot the bottom. Or under a indicator. Not sure if thats legal on that water or not. Might want to check before purchasing some crickets online.

Comment

Ok here is a packing list, bring a mouse fly, a few salmon egg flies, some dry flies, try to find a fly w/ a propeller on the top, and try to get some garlic scent spray for your flies.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad