Goldfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by labrador12 View Post
    Onondaga Lake was declared a Federal Superfund Site back in the seventies. Today several pairs of osprey nest around the lake and dozens of wintering bald eagles use the lake because the southern end of the lake is ice free due to a warm water infusion from the waste treatment plant. The warm nutrient rich water draws gizzard shad which the eagles feed on. Onondaga Lake is another in a long line of environmental successes that the media overlooks routinely every day, and especially on Earth Day.
    Not to argue, but just to be fair to The Syracuse Post-Standard and syracuse.com (which I generally don't like and see as one of the worst when it comes to leftie slant), there have been many articles in their Outdoor section about the lake, the eagles, etc. I don't recall if they've ever discussed the whys and wherefores of the recovery, in terms of who deserves the credit, but there's been a good amount of attention to the lake. But then, they're just the local media, I realize.

Comment

I spent decades reading the Post Standard. They can cover the local success in the Outdoor section, while simultaneously panning the effects of global warming and capitalism on the ecology of the planet. Journalism is a strange and wonderful pursuit. Gun violence is a similar subject. The NRA is excoriated regularly in the paper for defending the Constitution's second amendment and it is continuously implied that it is the cause of gun violence. You never see the paper report that NRA members hop into their pickups and drive into the city and shoot up the black neighborhoods. Funny how that works.

Comment

I recently stopped at Onondaga lake on the way home and fished for about an hour. I caught 6 bass on a generic Senco rigged wacky style. Biggest was about 16 inches.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
          I recently stopped at Onondaga lake on the way home and fished for about an hour. I caught 6 bass on a generic Senco rigged wacky style. Biggest was about 16 inches.
          Nice. Last time I fished there was when I went with a friend when she took her kid to the skateboard park; I went over and cast a few times and got a chunky little 12-incher on a floating Rapala.

I wonder if the powers that be have had any success convincing the immigrants who fish there to stop eating the fish. I remember there was argument about the effectiveness of the signs they were putting up.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad