Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldfish

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...y-fly-rod.html

"At a time like this, Herman's only comfort was the memory of his happy childhood on the little kid's dresser, in the bowl with the pretty pebbles and the castle on the bottom." Or something like that. (Caption contest in FS a few years back)

Hearing about fish like these always surprises me -- I'd have said that a small, released pet goldfish would never survive to grow so big, since it'd be such a visible target for predator fish. Unless it was fairly good-sized before its owners dumped it in the lake, that is. I've seen aquariums with some pretty big goldfish.

Originally posted by PigHunter
    Little Goldfish....

PH your last 3 or 4 posts have been locked out.

Comment

when you delete them they hang on in notifications that can not be opened or deleted.

Comment

I guess goldfish would be depending on the size but it can also be how many are stocked. Just need a female and male.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
          https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...y-fly-rod.html

"At a time like this, Herman's only comfort was the memory of his happy childhood on the little kid's dresser, in the bowl with the pretty pebbles and the castle on the bottom." Or something like that. (Caption contest in FS a few years back)

Hearing about fish like these always surprises me -- I'd have said that a small, released pet goldfish would never survive to grow so big, since it'd be such a visible target for predator fish. Unless it was fairly good-sized before its owners dumped it in the lake, that is. I've seen aquariums with some pretty big goldfish.
          I am surprised anything can live in Onondaga Lake. My Father used to haul out of Solvay Process and I hated going there. Real bad air quality. I did like to see the long boats racing.
          One plant in the area is the one that provided the chemical for the experiment in the Adirondack to increase the pH of the mountain lakes. It might have been pot ash they used. Anyway, the choppers would deliver the chemical to the remote lakes. It failed because there is so much acid in the surrounding forest floor coming into the lake the little that could be deposited was not nearly enough to change the pH - program scrapped. I guess lakes with granet shoreline do much better.

Comment

There would be no way of keeping up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

I am surprised anything can live in Onondaga Lake. My Father used to haul out of Solvay Process and I hated going there. Real bad air quality. I did like to see the long boats racing.
              One plant in the area is the one that provided the chemical for the experiment in the Adirondack to increase the pH of the mountain lakes. It might have been pot ash they used. Anyway, the choppers would deliver the chemical to the remote lakes. It failed because there is so much acid in the surrounding forest floor coming into the lake the little that could be deposited was not nearly enough to change the pH - program scrapped. I guess lakes with granet shoreline do much better.
              It's been cleaned up a lot in recent years. I think there was some talk, or maybe they even did it, of changing the fish consumption health advisory to some small amount per month -- I'm not sure, though I am sure that no matter what the official advisory says, I wouldn't eat any now or thirty years from now.

I haven't been there much over the years, mainly just visits to the park along the shoreline across from Solvay, but it does seem improved at least in terms of appearances. No smell anymore, lots of fish, even a fair number of bald eagles that nest there.

Comment

It's been cleaned up a lot in recent years. I think there was some talk, or maybe they even did it, of changing the fish consumption health advisory to some small amount per month -- I'm not sure, though I am sure that no matter what the official advisory says, I wouldn't eat any now or thirty years from now.

I haven't been there much over the years, mainly just visits to the park along the shoreline across from Solvay, but it does seem improved at least in terms of appearances. No smell anymore, lots of fish, even a fair number of bald eagles that nest there.
                That's good to hear. My relatives make the trek to the State Fair every year. Usually I am out of town for it.

Comment

I always wonder about this pic. It’s been going around for years.

Whats your thoughts on it. They say they grow to about 20in and that’s it. Click image for larger version

Name:	CDBECA47-A2AC-4E16-B0D3-524793F6182D.jpeg
Views:	371
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	770808

Comment

My first thought is how the state and world records for species often seem drastically bigger than the normal size-range, almost like the record fish are somewhat freakish. Not always, of course, but often. Most trout fishermen consider a brown trout to be really big if it's, say, 23 inches long -- but then the New York State record is something like 29 pounds! But then, it didn't come from one of our streams or rivers; it lived in Lake Ontario.

Comment

MattM37, a BIG turkey (Rio) is 22 to 24 pounds with most BIG turkeys in the 23 pound range.
                      The NWTF recognizes the record Rio as 36 pounds!
                      That had to have looked like a small emu! 😀!
                      My thought is that he was hanging around some farmers creep feeder with the market calves! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                        MattM37, a BIG turkey (Rio) is 22 to 24 pounds with most BIG turkeys in the 23 pound range.
                        The NWTF recognizes the record Rio as 36 pounds!
                        That had to have looked like a small emu! 😀!
                        My thought is that he was hanging around some farmers creep feeder with the market calves! LOL!
                        I was thinking that about the fish, too. Are canneries allowed to dump the waste fish-parts back into the water? Probably in some countries. The fish near those spots have it made.

Comment

I was thinking that about the fish, too. Are canneries allowed to dump the waste fish-parts back into the water? Probably in some countries. The fish near those spots have it made.
                          When I went fishing in Alaska, the first stop was at the cannery to catch herring for bait. Took about 30 minutes and we had enough bait to fish three days.

Comment

They did change the consumption regs to one meal a month. They put sheet metal in to the ground all the way around the shoreline of Solvay. The pollution is still in Solvay but it can't get to the lake, Honey well put water treatment plants along the shoreline to treat the water that can't reach the lake. After they filter and treat the water they send it to the lake.

Honeywell also dredged the lake and pumped the ash to a landfill.

I drive by every day on the way to work and the smell is much better.

The fishery is phenomenal. It's probably the best Bass fishery in central Ny. I predict in the next decade Onondaga will have a Largemouth challenge the state record.

Comment

Onondaga Lake was declared a Federal Superfund Site back in the seventies. Today several pairs of osprey nest around the lake and dozens of wintering bald eagles use the lake because the southern end of the lake is ice free due to a warm water infusion from the waste treatment plant. The warm nutrient rich water draws gizzard shad which the eagles feed on. Onondaga Lake is another in a long line of environmental successes that the media overlooks routinely every day, and especially on Earth Day.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad