Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am new to the sport of fly fishing... and this might seem like a silly question... but how do I attach my backing to my floati

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new to the sport of fly fishing... and this might seem like a silly question... but how do I attach my backing to my floati

I am new to the sport of fly fishing... and this might seem like a silly question... but how do I attach my backing to my floating line? Do you use a specific knot or I have seen "eye" hook things... Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

The blood knot or nail knot work well for me.

Comment

Try here if you don't know how to tie these...

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=ww w.animatedknots.com

use the nail knot or the albright for fly line to backing. If this doesn't help, go to your local fly shop and ask.

Comment

The knots above are good and strong and do not create a nasty bulge in the reel. But unless you expect a fish to take up all your floating line on a run, it's not as important as what you use at the leader end of the floating line. Fishing in relatively small streams for most of the twentieth century, my grandparents never used backing at all. Smaller reels designed for smaller fish don't have the space for it.

Comment

Don't bother with the metal eye hook things. Just learn the proper knots and save your money.

Comment

I always put backing on my fly reels.I put the fly line on backwards(don't tie it),and tie the backing to it with a nail knot.Then I finish filling the spool with the backing.Then I pull everything out,and tie the backing to the spool with a surgeons knot.I've never gotten into the backing while fighting a fish,but I don't want to lose a big fish because I didn't have it.Also fly lines develop memory.With the backing the coils won't be as tight.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips! I used the nail knot like was suggested, held it tightly!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad