Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another newbie question regarding leader and tippet. Can you use regular fishing line for the leader? Lets say 8lb test for your

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbie question regarding leader and tippet. Can you use regular fishing line for the leader? Lets say 8lb test for your

Another newbie question regarding leader and tippet. Can you use regular fishing line for the leader? Lets say 8lb test for your leader and then attach 4lb to it for the tippet? I am just curious and probably way off base. Thanks for any help.

Hello earlyriser81, the answer to your question is NO and YES. The real information you are seeking is Why Yes and why No. In the beginning of your leader, the BUTT End, or the Thick end which is closest to the fly line you need a line that will transfer the energy that is stored up in your loop into to the leader and down to the fly. If you use regular Monofiliment line it will be to limp causing you to loose energy. Most will suggest that you use what is called Hard Mono. Maxima is one manufacturer of such lines. Then as you step down in your leaders size your progression would ultimately lead you to your tippet. The hard mono will retain and transfer the energy from the rod, to the line/loop to the leader to the tippet very nicely for you. You will want to switch over to the mono about mid way down your tapering of the leader so the line becomes (Softer) and won't hit the water with as much impact. At the end of your leader as you are already aware of is your tippet. You can use regular line here but I wouldn't unless I'm fishing for bass or panfish. The reason is the fly tippet material is made to specific and exacting diameters to ensure that the line is smooth and consistent. Typically you will find that regular mono is not the same diameter through and through. I know I have put it to the micrometer before. You will also find that the tippet manufactures generally have a thinner diameter which still achieves the same pound test that a regular fishing line has which will also not be as spooky to the fish and will land softer on the surface of the water. Now this is not gospel and if you don't want to you can do as you like. I know many people who are happy using regular mono for their fly fishing. I will tell you though they are not in the top 10% of fly fisherman that I know. One last thing, it is generally less expensive to by a small spool of tippet material in 3 or 4 different sizes than it is to purchase 3 or 4 complete spools of the different pound test lines that you will use for different situations as time goes by and it is easier to carry a small spool of tippet as well. I hope this helps you out and guides you in the right direction. Tight lines

Comment

i don't use tippets i just use regular Maxima strait all the way from the fly line with loop, just as easy to tie knot. 4# and 6# test for smaller dry flies use secret ingredient on fly, floats beautiful and if it breaks a foot off you still can use it with 8 ' leader or 7' When fish are feeding you don't drop the fly on the fish anyway its all about presentation couple feet in front of it. stronger leader for streamers all my buddies use tippets and i catch just as much fish as they do and even more sometimes you keep your pole in the air and let it do the work catching browns over 20 inches all the time. waiting for the hatch! Snill

Comment

I am new to fly fishing. Please help! Do you tie the fly to the leader ? Or do you tie the tippet to the leader. I was watching a fly show and a gentleman wrote in saying he was having trouble casting. The line ended up in a blob and not straight . He had tied a tippet to the leader then his fly. This show said he was double tipping. And you you only use a tippet when your leader has become shorter. Which is correct?

Comment

I've caught a ton of nice fish using regular fishing line. If you are spending big dollars on the trip of your life, you might as well spend a few dollars more on good tippets but most fish really don't know the difference if you are using the right fly and gently putting it in the right location. There are those who say Clicquot Champagne is the only beverage worth drinking and yet Budweiser sales lead the market. Most of my line tangles, knots and hard landings come from an erroneous backcast (i.e. cracking the whip early rather than letting the line float all the way back before advancing the line forward). I suggest you try both and use whichever you prefer for the type of fishing you do.

Comment

Technically in fly fishing, a leader is the tippet. It is attached directly to the fly line. A leader/tippet can be either a knotted piece of mono with each knotted section being of less strength (say 6# down to the final tippet itself of 1-2 pounds) . There is a formula for the length of each knotted section, but that has been erased from this old man’s memory. Tippets can also be in unknotted mono, gradually lessening in strength from the butt to the end which the fly is attached to. I used to make my own knotted tippets, but that was before the one piece was on the market. The size of fish you will be pursuing will determine the final strength of mono at the end of the tippet/leader ! Hope this helps, it is not that complicated, but maybe I made it so !!
            EDIT: if you are fishing for pan fish, the tipper is of rather minimal importance, and probably only needs to be 4-6 foot ib length. But if you are fishing for educated trout, a good rule of length could be up to 10 feet. It is the final tippet ending which allows the fly to be presented in a actual landing manner and not plopped down like a stone !!
            Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 07-10-2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Your leader is not a tippet. The way the setup goes is your backing to the fly line. Then the leader, then the tippet, then finally your fly look up how to setup a fly rod on the internet it should show you some pics. I run a 20lb mono leader then I run a 10 or sometimes 6lb test mono as a tippet. Then I add my fly. If your getting knots in your line from casting then you are not following threw with your back cast. Your back cast should be as long as you almost casting forward. Also a leader is tapered down so the thick end gets tied onto the fly line just FYI.

Comment

of course the thick part, or butt end of the leader is tied to the fly line, who said it wasn’t, FYI ! And the back cast is not as long as the forward cast. It is the weight of the fly line that propels the line forward in a double haul function to complete the forward cast, geeeezzz !

Comment

Lol bowhunter. Just answering Gina questions on the fly setup with a leader. As I was taught your back cast should have a small j in it when your casting it forward so it does not get your leader and tippet tangled and works for me. Sometimes they say you have to fill the weight of the fly with bigger flies and that’s true to considering when I Muskie fish with the big flies. I let the flies weight do all the work on my backcast. So I guess it’s up to you on how to fish your flies.
                  Last edited by Solitario Lupo; 07-12-2019, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Only in spin casting is the weight of the lure the propelling force. In fly fishing, it is the weight of the line which is the propelling force. That is why fly lines are designated by weight, in order to work in conjunction with fly rods that are designed to work in combination with correct weight lines ! ;-))

Comment

Maybe in the old days when fly fishing was mainly used for trout but different new techniques are being formed everyday for different species. I would never be able to roll cast a heavy fly with just the weight of the line. Just saying.
                      Last edited by Solitario Lupo; 07-12-2019, 09:33 PM.

Comment

‘Just saying’ does not change the physics of the function of fly fishing technology. The line itself performed the casting of the fly in the old days, it still does in the ‘now’ days, as it will in ‘tomorrow’ days ! When the weight of a fly is no more than a ‘whisper’, it will in itself, never over ride the function of the line !
                        Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 07-12-2019, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                          ‘Just saying’ does not change the physics of the function of fly fishing technology. !
                          People change the physics of the function. The just saying part was so you don’t get your panties in a bunch like when you gave bad advice already with the tippet and leader being the same. Ever troll with a fly rod no, will people do it nowadays. Yes you are right about the weight of the line does cast most flies I’m not telling you you are wrong. Don’t know why you keep on trying to say I’m wrong when people are using new ways to fly fish. Do a search on the internet and do some reading on the new ways I’m sure your be surprised on what new ways people cast a fly rod.

Comment

Don’t want to do the duck and chuck.
                            https://youtu.be/5Oms-jYj2pY

heres another one with no back cast and the weight of the water casting the fly for you
                            https://youtu.be/FFtVLXzDq_A
                            Last edited by Solitario Lupo; 07-13-2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

SL, those videos are fly casting 101, known by anyone who has even a little knowledge of flyrod use. The no back cast is not with the weight of the water, it is to allow the water to straighten the line behind you as if the back cast had been made. It is not to have the fly heavier due to water, the fly is still presented by the line, not the fly itself ! My only point in this matter SL, is that the line itself is the item that provides the weight for the cast, not what is on the end of the tippet which of course is the termination point of the leader.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Give them all they need ...
                                by 99explorer
                                Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                                When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                                Today, 07:29 PM
                              • Give them all they need ...
                                by jhjimbo
                                I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                                10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by FirstBubba
                                Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                                I've never carried over about $1500.
                                Today, 07:27 PM
                              • Snapshot
                                by jhjimbo
                                What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                                I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                                Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                              • Reply to Snapshot
                                by PigHunter
                                "Not much blue tooth crap is durable enough for my lifestyle. Can't imagine what would happen if the canoe tipped over wearing that stuff. Your voice...
                                Today, 07:22 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X