Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have a good pattern/technique for fishing a black caddis hatch? I was recently on a piece of water and the trout we

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a good pattern/technique for fishing a black caddis hatch? I was recently on a piece of water and the trout we

Does anyone have a good pattern/technique for fishing a black caddis hatch? I was recently on a piece of water and the trout were blowing up everywhere, taking the black caddis that were hovering just above the water. I haven't been able to find a way to suspend my caddis fly 2 inches above the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I was about to try a net!!!

try skittering your caddis imitation across the surface.Caddis are a very active insect during hatches, and sometimes adding movement to your fly helps fool trout.

Comment

Skittering a black elk hair caddis might work. But if the trout are coming out of the water they might be hitting emerging pupae rather than targeting caddis flies above the water. Caddis flies hatch and fly off very quickly once the pupae hit the surface film. Might try dead drifting an emerging pupae pattern and letting it swing toward the surface at the end of the drift.

Rather than guessing try using a bug net in the water to see if there are pupae and note their color.

Comment

In England poachers would tie caddis onto a string and dangle them down a foot or two. Two guys would hold the string on each side of the river and bounce the caddis up and down over the water. It was a killer technique which is probably why it's illegal.

My buddy and I did it in PA and caught a creek chub. We were laughing so hard we never bothered to do it again.

Other than that, tying some heavy hackeled caddis and skittering them over the surface works great.

Comment

Thanks fellas.......unfortunately the monsoon season has hit and I've not been able to try any of these. I am going to do some research on "skittering" a caddis. I have an idea but I'm betting there is a technique to it.

Regards,

Wags

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad