Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone still use large arbor flyreels? I like them but don't see as many in use in the west as I used too and don't know w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone still use large arbor flyreels? I like them but don't see as many in use in the west as I used too and don't know w

Does anyone still use large arbor flyreels? I like them but don't see as many in use in the west as I used too and don't know why.

Modern technology has changed the way alot of us fish. Large arbor reels used to be heavier, but allowed you to take in more line. They often misbalanced the rods. Now with newer materials companies can make reels that are smaller and lighter that can do the same as large arbor due to gear ratios now.

Comment

I still like to use a large arbor when I am fishing for larger or more agressive fish like stelhead or salmon. But as ET said with modern tech there is not that much difference. I think the need for a better drag with the large arbor is what guys went for but now even the mids and some smaller arbors have just as good drags.

Comment

The main advantage with large arbors is faster line pickup for either just bringing in line or when you have fast charging fish on. It's also easier for the drag to pull smoother and slower on a bigger barrel. And to some extent line memory. I have large arbors on all my reels, trout to musky. The smaller trout ones are probably overkill as I line fight almost all fish, but it's nice to have a good drag for that big one. For big game fish, large arbors are the way to go IMHO.

Comment

What ETangler said, casting a unbalanced rod/reel all will sap some the enjoyment out of flyfishing. Large arbor reels have there time and place, small trout streams = NO, Steelheading = YES

Comment

I have little use for them. They look cool, but really unbalance the rod. Few rods are designed for the added weight.

Comment

Agreed with ETangler answer above and A + 1 for you!!!

Comment

I use a large arbor fly reel but I've never fought a trout that was able to show me the difference between a large arbor and a regular fly reel

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Gun safe
                  by jhjimbo
                  This is the F&S magazine site, not the Field and Stream store....
                  Today, 09:05 PM
                • Gun safe
                  by Swenthms
                  Problem opening my gun safe
                  Today, 08:58 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by 99explorer
                  Honker -
                  The print media has been suffering for years.
                  Desperate times, desperate measures.
                  Today, 08:50 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  PH, When you have some idle time in your brain see if you can come up with a design for an accessory for a VOM meter that would hold the leads in a neat...
                  Today, 07:36 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X