Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Folks, just got off the phone with a friend of mine who has a fly rod he can't identify, thought you all might help. He desc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Folks, just got off the phone with a friend of mine who has a fly rod he can't identify, thought you all might help. He desc

Hey Folks, just got off the phone with a friend of mine who has a fly rod he can't identify, thought you all might help. He describes it as a 3 piece split bamboo rod that has 2 different tips. Also the butt can be turned around and the rod can be used as a spinning outfit. Anybody ever hear of anything like it? Another question. How can you determine what wieght rod you have if it's so old all markings have been worn off? Do you just guess at what line wieght to use or what?

If you take the rod to a good fly shop they should be able to match the rod with the line. It's been over 20 years since I've had to have it done but I recall the guy at the shop testing the flex with a chart and matched the line weight.

I can only reccommend you search the internet or find a bamboo fly rod book to find the name on the rod.

Comment

I can help you out on the weight of the line. You determine the weight of the line by what fish you are fishing for.

Comment

Back in the 30's and 40's companies sold combo kits in wooden boxes that allowed you to fish in rivers for trout or lakes for bass, etc. They came with line and flies. My uncle gave me his that was purchased in the 1940's in Germany. They were very popular with outdoorsmen in th e northern U.S.

Comment

I have two different ones. One in the wood box that was mentioned that sounds like the one your described. It's a Sakura made in Japan. I can't read the other one but it's similar. They were my grandfathers and gifts to him after WW2 from someone who was stationed there after the war. Both are split bamboo and fish great. Most fly fishing shops will even spool up your reel and let you cast it so you can get the right weight.

Comment

If you look closely at the reverseing section you may find that it can also be used as a casting rod by turning it over, Usually this is not recomended today but it can and was done in yesteryear. I had a special rod made by Heddon in the original case, a geeen line case, the logo material was in white and printed on it were a story about the rod,by memory if I can do it justice goes like this..Hello, Im your new Heddon Rod my sections have been carefully hand picked and joined together with care, my guides have been wrapped with the finest of silk and then coated with varnish to preserve me. Wipe me clean after use and I will give you years good use. Signed ..Your Heddon Rod. I used that rod and loved the response and feel of its power, the suttle tap of a small fish sucking in a fly was like a Marlin had ate you at full speed going away, so positive was the rod. But , yes I believe Sakura and also Yamada did make similar rods.
            By the way use the oil from the side of your nose to lube these rods wwhen putting them together to insure the ferrules dont get stuck together .(old tip from gramps) Use that rod and feel for yourself.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad