Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i plan on getting into fly fishing in the summer as a hobby to keep me occupied from hunting ... any tips or techniques ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i plan on getting into fly fishing in the summer as a hobby to keep me occupied from hunting ... any tips or techniques ???

i plan on getting into fly fishing in the summer as a hobby to keep me occupied from hunting ... any tips or techniques ???

Go to your local fly shop and have them outfit you with equipment you can afford. It pays off in the long run with priceless good advice in the future.

Comment

I second that post from buckhunter. Just be patience and remember you dont have to be very technical in the begining, keep it simple and enjoy being out.

Comment

spend some time reading, surfing the web (many great sites) and researching while the snow is still blowing. start to get an idea of what you think you might want. heading for the local fly shop is excellent advice. those guys know the local waters and will offer good info. when you start to narrow down what you think you want, check ebay and cabelas. prices can be better than the local shop. a friend of mine bought a closeout combo a few weeks ago and paid about 40% off retail from an internet dealer. look for a local club in your area. attend a meeting. those groups are usually great places to meet "old" guys eager to share info. try to borrow equipment the first few times out, it will help you judge what you want later.

Comment

Keep in mind that while most fly fishing equipment is very expensive, you dont need to spend a ton to get into the sport. If you really want to get into it and have a bunch of time on your hands while waiting for spring to come, build your own rod. Its inexpensive, really fun and rewarding. I built a 6 weight when i was younger and its really fun to catch fish on a rod you built.

Comment

Find a local shop, or a local flyfisherman willing to take you under his wing, or talk to Kirk Deeter of the fly talk blog, he will be more than willing to hlp a newbie out.

Comment

Help*

Comment

For 149.00 you can get the entire set up at Cabelas.I mean everything.

Comment

First of all, you need to understand that you cannot fly fish as a hobby. It may start as one, but then will quickly devolve into full throttle obsession.
                  With that in mind, go to your local fly shop and be ready to bleed out of the eyeballs as you give all of your lucre to them in trade for a stick, string and fake bugs.
                  If you are willing to do this, then the wonderful world of fly fishing will open up to you and you will live a fulfilled life chasing little fish with your stick, string and fake bugs.

Comment

Charley is right, fly fishing may start as a "hobby" to keep you occupied until hunting begins again but it won't stay that way, you won't understand now but in three years you will.

Again I will reiterate going to your local fly shop and getting set up in almost every case the fly shop guys will be able to help 10 fold more than someone at a box store. There are now some really nice setups in the mid price range that will prevent you from getting a cheapie setup you'll hate and doling out $1000,00 on your first fly set up.

One other note buy a top end line even if you don't get a top end fly setup. Top end fly lines perform much better than cheap ones and will assist with the learning curve that inevitably comes with learning to fly cast.

Finally one great resource is www.washingtonflyfishing.com read the articles, read the forums, search the forums, and post in the forums and you'll be so overwhelmed with information you'll need years to process it all.

Tight lines.

Comment

When I first started thinking of getting into fly fishing, I hung around the local fly shop for about 2 years, i was still bait and spin fishing, I finally broke down adn got a good fly fishing rod, reel, and line, some flies and off I went. I didn't know how to cast, I just went down to the lake everyday for 4 hours and done what I could do. I learned casting in the wind, still wanted more. I started catching small trout. I started to feel the urge to want to use the fly rod more and more. I didn't want to do anything else, I just wanted to do more and more. I did it everyday for 6 months. Now, a year later, I'm still doing it almost daily, and now I want to build my own fly fishing lodge. I don't work no more,I quit working, all I do is Fly now, and that's all I ever want to do. I just wish I would have gotten my gear sooner, rather than waiting 2 years to decide I was going to get into it, but now, I have the rest of my life to fly fish everyday, cause that's how much it got into my blood.

Best wishes.

Comment

I would say get a good 5/6 weight setup, not necessarily name brand, but a good setup is key to enjoying fly fishing. I would recommend talking to the guys at the local fly shop and get ideas. Also plan on a budget for this, as you can spend a couple hunderd to a couple thousand on a decent setup. If your not sure, get a starter kit, I know Cabelas has the Genesis kit which includes everything except the waders. And it costs around $150.

Comment

Agreed with Charley answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Depending on what you are fishing for the rods come in weights for the size of fish. Small fish don't need a expensive reel. Large ones need a good drag on the reel. Length depends on where you fish, overhanging trees or out in the open on big water. Lines are floating or sinking & are in different weights to match the rod.You can buy flies or tie them yourself. If you tie them yourself so you can change colors, size, or whatever to match where & what you are fishing for. Also try different actions of rods to see which one matches you. They come in slow, medium & fast. Some flyshops will let you try them to see what matches you the best.

Comment

I started with an 8wt Shakespeare combo from kmart that cost $30 15 years ago along with a generic box of flies for $3 and a $2 yard sale book that taught me how to cast. Charley is absolutely right, It is a full blown obsession now. I have enough material to stock a fly shop and several fly rods. I will say this, everything I have ever bought has a purpose. Good luck

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad