Dragon Tails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Tails

You may recall a recent F&S article extolling the virtues of a wormlike toy. The one with a price of monofilament tied to the front. In the article J. C. mentioned that Orvis was going to release a similar product made specifically for fly tying. Well, I was at my local fly shop the other day, when I noticed a pack of Mangum’s Dragon Tails. Of course I had to buy some, to see what I could spin up. I tied a couple of simple flys, but after reading J. C’s description of their movement, I had to try it for my self. Since I have no fishing trips planned in the near future, I had to use my kitchen sink.

Let’s see if I can get a video posted.
    Attached Files

Let’s see if this works.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry View Post
      Let’s see if this works.
      It would probably work better with more space.

Comment

Let’s see if this works.
        Looks good enough to eat:-))

Comment

Let’s see if this works.
          Nice subtle action

Comment

Let’s see if this works.
            Best action i've seen.

Comment

A lot say putting a tail on your fly will make it swim not right and look funny looking. If tied right don't think that's true. Yours look like it swims fine maybe cause you don't have a big body on it. Most who use these tails are tied into Muskie flies. There are other tails out for those big flies. Make the body and hook bigger and I'm sure it get those toothy fish.

Comment

You may recall a recent F&S article extolling the virtues of a wormlike toy. The one with a price of monofilament tied to the front. In the article J. C. mentioned that Orvis was going to release a similar product made specifically for fly tying. Well, I was at my local fly shop the other day, when I noticed a pack of Mangum’s Dragon Tails. Of course I had to buy some, to see what I could spin up. I tied a couple of simple flys, but after reading J. C’s description of their movement, I had to try it for my self. Since I have no fishing trips planned in the near future, I had to use my kitchen sink.

Let’s see if I can get a video posted.
                Curious to see how these tails worked out for you. Catch any fish on them. Thinking of getting a pack for myself to try this year.

Comment

I did try them in a pond (bass, etc.), and the biggest drawback was that they cast like a wet sock. That being said, a smaller tail would probably be easier to cast. I haven’t caught anything on them yet, because they are quite large, and would be better suited for pike or stripers, which I have not had a chance to fish for lately. I definitely belive, however, that if I had smaller sizes they would catch a ton of bass.

Comment

I hear some catch bass on them. Didn’t look into it but guessing maybe different sizes. I’m tying them up for Muskie so the bigger the better for me. I also heard them called the wet sock. Lol.

Comment

Looks good, Henry. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted when you've had a chance to use them more.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                        99explorer
                        There is a movement afoot to sell the state of Montana to Canada for $1 trillion to pay off part of our national debt.
                        It would become South Alberta....
                        Yesterday, 12:27 AM
                      • Reply to New petition to sell Montana to Canada
                        fitch270
                        Wouldn't South Alberta be its own province?

There's been a "movement" to separate upstate NY from the NYC area for years. Fat chance...
                        Today, 12:09 AM
                      • Illegals buying guns
                        labrador12
                        If 8 million illegals are trying to buy guns a year, what is the size of the illegal population? Is 10% of the illegal population armed? 50%? Are there...
                        Yesterday, 10:56 AM
                      • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                        Harmonious Fulmination
                        In peak seasons Ellis Island processed over 5000 dirt poor migrants a day. And with those inadequate traditional families they made America and Americans...
                        Today, 12:02 AM
                      • Reply to Illegals buying guns
                        fitch270
                        The logistics of the situation is the issue. Better safe than sorry. Trying to figure out who is who and has relatives where takes time and resources....
                        Yesterday, 11:58 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X