#1 graphite vs #2 fiberglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1 graphite vs #2 fiberglass

Opinions of a #1 graphite vs a #2 fiberglass rod for small stream brook trout? 90% of casts will be bow and arrow casts. Dries/nymphs/small streamers. Which will allow a 5" native trout to fight harder?

Maybe I don’t understand your question, or at least your concern as to 5” trout. Most states having trout put a 6” minimum on legal size. I don’t think a 5” trout will put up too much of a fight on any rod. Am I missing something here ?

Comment

Guessing your looking for a fly rod. When it comes down to this I think weight of the rod is more important than fiberglass or a graphite rod. Both are good can't complain on either of them. If your going for brook trout only a small rod is needed.

Comment

I know what you're asking. You're talking about one of my favorite kinds of fishing. Unfortunately, I haven't fished enough fiberglass to really know the answer. My own brookie rod is a 6.5 foot 2 weight (graphite). I like it alot, though I still think it has room to be wispier. My brother has a Temple Forks 2 or 3 weight that is 6 feet long (I think), and it is super wispy. You might look into those.

Comment

I like the feel of fiberglass and I learned a long time ago that it doesn't transmit electricity in lightening strikes. I've always avoided graphite rods for that reason. It is especially important when you are on wide open areas.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
            Maybe I don’t understand your question, or at least your concern as to 5” trout. Most states having trout put a 6” minimum on legal size. I don’t think a 5” trout will put up too much of a fight on any rod. Am I missing something here ?
            It's for small mountain stream fly fishing, where average brookies are 5-7" and 10"+ is a monster. Since these streams are somewhat rare, it's not a resource you want to hurt by keeping anything anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
              Thanks for the clarification !

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                I like the feel of fiberglass and I learned a long time ago that it doesn't transmit electricity in lightening strikes. I've always avoided graphite rods for that reason. It is especially important when you are on wide open areas.
                If the rod and line are wet, the electricity will run down the outside easily enough. You're still going to get popped. A fiberglass rod is not much protection.

Comment

This is all news to me. I have never seen a fly rod lighter than 4 wt and only one of those. I feel like some kind of monster using a 9 wt. Of course it's for salmon and big rainbows. You'd never stop them with a little 4 wt. An eight pound sockeye would strip line and backing in a couple of minutes or less then snap the rod in two. I use a 7 wt when fishing with my grandson for medium rainbows plus the odd lunker in a small stocked pond at a pay-to-fish place near the border. It's catch and release there and I can't justify playing someone else's property to the point of exhaustion and possible death, especially after the water warms up. Have fun but get it in and released fairly quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
                    Very true Honker. Not that I like to fly fish in conditions where lightening is likely but you never know. My wife was walking three feet ahead of me carrying an umbrella while walking to a plane on the tarmac. She got a direct hit to the metal umbrella. It stunned her for a minute but had no lasting effect. I think it hurt me worse than it hurt her because I was not only stunned but completely blind for a minute or so. We couldn't get the static electricity out of her hair for a while so when she got on the plane, her long hair was still standing straight out from her head.

Comment

MPeterson: what you really need to be concerned about is not taxing the fish to the point of exhaustion. Native trout will fight hard because they are used to grabbing their food with little resistance. I am assuming you will be releasing these trout ?

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post
                        MPeterson: what you really need to be concerned about is not taxing the fish to the point of exhaustion. Native trout will fight hard because they are used to grabbing their food with little resistance. I am assuming you will be releasing these trout ?
                        Always

Comment

Sage makes or made boutique fly rods in 000, 00 and 0 weights. They use 57 grain, 60 grain and 65 grain lines respectively. Like all things Sage, they are not inexpensive.

You also might want to look into tenkara rods. Which are very long telescoping rods with fixed line length. They have no reel. Cast like a conventional fly rod. Just an inability to shoot line.

Originally posted by mpeterson View Post
                          Opinions of a #1 graphite vs a #2 fiberglass rod for small stream brook trout? 90% of casts will be bow and arrow casts. Dries/nymphs/small streamers. Which will allow a 5" native trout to fight harder?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                            by Sarge01
                            If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                            Today, 10:26 PM
                          • Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                            by bowhunter75richard
                            Virginia legislature has dropped it’s AR-15 confiscation ruling. They have now stated those who presently own these weapons can continue to do so,...
                            Today, 05:33 PM
                          • Reply to Pet Peeves
                            by fitch270
                            My boy does the "I mean" thing quite often, usually when he's trying to think of how to explain something. I have no idea where he got it from,...
                            Today, 10:21 PM
                          • Pet Peeves
                            by jhjimbo
                            O.K., here is your chance to get it off your chest. List your pet peeves, about anything. Big or small.

I hate it when cameras jump arountd...
                            Yesterday, 08:09 AM
                          • Reply to Outdoor Life !, bu
                            by fitch270
                            I don't think it would be worth the effort to mess with the parallax, but if the scope got messed up it wouldn't be much of a loss. I gave the rifle/scope...
                            Today, 10:15 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X