the (lack of) ethics of catch and release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dewman View Post
    "Animals hunt for food and survival only" BULLCRAP! Not even close. I've seen nest after nest of rabbits killed- none eaten. Calves torn apart - nothing eaten. Song birds killed by the handfuls- nothing eaten. All predators, wild or domestic, catch and kill what they can- when they have opportunity. If you spend enough time in nature you will see it for yourself. Seen them torture prey as well because they're bellies are too full to hold more. This "weak and old,sick" crap was disproven before you were born. Now I think you are just a PETA troll.
    Almost certainly, regarding the troll business. Most likely a younger person too. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by awawaw View Post
      I have a problem with C&R. if you fish only to eat, you will fish less. can someone tell me how it is different from baiting a lamb with a pitchfork hidden in hay and then dragging that lamb with the pitchfork tied to the rope and then releasing it for sport? And having someone else do the same? you don't see a difference in killing to eat and just harassing an animal repeatedly?
      Kid, you’re just here to argue and make yourself feel smart. You’re not the first to come up with this stuff, but you’re not going to change anyone’s minds here with rhetoric and thinly-veiled scenarios.

Run for office or make A YouTube video or blow up Twitter or something. You’re just wasting your time, and most of us have work in the morning.

If you had used “moral code” or “belief system” instead of “philosophy” I might have given you a high C or even a B minus for the effort. But in the end you just weren’t tricksy enough and your scenarios were just too clumsy.

PS: If this is really Ontario Honker Hunter, I take back everything I said about doing a poor job. Outstanding internet subterfuge, OHH. Chapeau.

Comment

y'all are beating around the bush with your jargon and philosophies, but can you answer my simple question? is it okay to shoot a little harpoon at an elk and drag it to you and then release it after taking a picture? putting an animal in your imaginary cross hairs is not the same as hurting an animal for no reason than your pleasure.

and we are animals too logic fails here. no animal in the animal kingdom hunts for sport and pleasure. they do so for food and survival only.
        Deleted...

Comment

y'all are beating around the bush with your jargon and philosophies, but can you answer my simple question? is it okay to shoot a little harpoon at an elk and drag it to you and then release it after taking a picture? putting an animal in your imaginary cross hairs is not the same as hurting an animal for no reason than your pleasure.

and we are animals too logic fails here. no animal in the animal kingdom hunts for sport and pleasure. they do so for food and survival only.
          Makes me think of the footage I've seen of orcas playing with sea lions that they've caught, but aren't interested in eating; throwing them 20-30 feet up in the air, then dragging them back down, only to leave the carcass eventually. Or, the way wolves kill coyotes on sight. Or, the way bears will sometimes skin salmon alive, eat the skin, then leave the carcass laying on the streambank. I won't piss on your beliefs, I think this is good stuff for all of us to think about. But, nature isn't so simple as you 'd like to think.

Comment

I think cats enjoy playing cat and mouse with smaller mammals,including squirrels.

Comment

I thought the same thing about the orcas. Chimps do it too, with monkeys.

Comment

I'll never forget seeing where black bears in Northern BC would lay on their bellies and scoop oats into their mouths leaving a trail of undigested oats shat out in a trail behind them.

Comment

In your honor Awawawa I'll now kill every fish I catch, regardless of size limits so that I can eat them and not become sadistic. I'll be fat by weekend. It's all your fault...

Comment

And what about boar bears killing the young of a sow bear in order to bring her into estures so he can breed with her ? Male lions will do the same thing with female lions. Why don’t you learn a few things about nature, so that you won’t appear so damn stupid ? Stupid !!

Comment

Realistically, animals don't think like humans. Predators display caching behavior. Killing a bunch of prey they're come across. Returning repeated to feed. Many don't have a problem consuming rancid rotting flesh.

OP is likely an animal rights person. Which is fine......for him.

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                      "Animals hunt for food and survival only" BULLCRAP! Not even close. I've seen nest after nest of rabbits killed- none eaten. Calves torn apart - nothing eaten. Song birds killed by the handfuls- nothing eaten. All predators, wild or domestic, catch and kill what they can- when they have opportunity. If you spend enough time in nature you will see it for yourself. Seen them torture prey as well because they're bellies are too full to hold more. This "weak and old,sick" crap was disproven before you were born. Now I think you are just a PETA troll.
                      Last edited by Nyflyangler; 09-01-2019, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad