the (lack of) ethics of catch and release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the (lack of) ethics of catch and release

I have been wanting to get into fly fishing and have been learning about it lately. honestly all justifications of catch & release sound BS to me. we all fish for sport and not for conservation. and there is no humane way to C&R, despite all the holy rules you follow. if majority of people do C&R, which seems to be the case, then fly fishing is a sport for the sick minded.

for example, if i hide a pitch fork in a mound of hay and lure a goat and then pull that goat towards me then just let it go, and I make it a hobby of mine, should it be considered a sport? I mean what kind of pleasure would you derive from that?

I find this whole fly fishing "philosophy" to be B.S. to justify a sick hobby.

I think fishing for subsistence is the only humane way, if we assume we are higher on the evolutionary food chain.

Well, if you find the "philosophy" of catch and release against your belief system, and you want to get into fly fishing (which frankly I doubt) the obvious answer is to keep your catch and enjoy it on your table.

If your objective is to begin a discourse on the subject of your mostly formed belief that fly fishing is bad, then I don't have any good advice for you. Good luck.

Comment

Trout fishing with Fly's is a talent and the reward is a fine fish dinner. If you feel the need to C&R by all means do so!

Comment

The challenge of outwitting the fish is the sport of fly fishing. What you do with the fish that you catch does not alter that.
        If you are a catch and filet man, you can fish for species that are not subject to C&R.
        Wet flies work great on largemouth bass.

Comment

The OP is retarded. That's all I can say.

Comment

I don’t know about you, but if I would rather be a fish with a sore lip than a fish on a plate.

Comment

Originally posted by captaingraybeard View Post
              The OP is retarded. That's all I can say.
              I think his point is that catching a fish is a waste of time if you are going to release it. You should have something to show for your efforts, and C&R just inflicts pain on the fish.
              He doesn't grasp the sporting challenge to succeed against wildlife.

Comment

If you don't want to C&R where you fish and it is legal not to, go for it.
                Some people hunt with a camera as a form of C&R. Stalk within shooting range and 'click', got him.
                People hunt and fish for a myriad of reasons, each to his own

I don't follow the pitch fork in the hay ?

Comment

I guess I fail to see your reason to get into flyfishing in the first place if it is your opinion that it is BS. Not all flyfishing is C&R, only on designated streams is this necessary, and on other streams you can keep fish for eating if that is your purpose ! Don’t get down on the sport if you don’t understand what you are upset about. In flyfishing almost all fish are hooked in the lip or corner of the mouth and releasing them is very simple. A trout should not be removed from the water and hand held, this release technique takes some knowhow and should be learned, and I doubt from your question response that you will ever take the effort ! Learn about the sport before quoting your ignorance to it ! What I think is BS is your attitude, get some help in that concern and you might see things in a different light !!

Comment

So basically just kill them, isn't that what's hunting for. Just cause I hook a fish in the lip doesn't mean it's going to die. Let them live for another day. For me to do c.p.r. It depends on the species. Sounds to me you really don't understand the concept of catch and release. So with that said I don't think you should be a fisherman at all.

Comment

To be judgemental without experience and the knowledge brought from it is to be ignorant.

Comment

I have a problem with C&R. if you fish only to eat, you will fish less. can someone tell me how it is different from baiting a lamb with a pitchfork hidden in hay and then dragging that lamb with the pitchfork tied to the rope and then releasing it for sport? And having someone else do the same? you don't see a difference in killing to eat and just harassing an animal repeatedly?

Comment

I think I may understand what you're trying to get at; that there's a fundamental conflict between the ethics we use in C&R fishing and the ethics we use when dealing with other animals we want something from, be they farm animals, or wild game. That we would be apalled by someone treating a valued mammal, like a goat, or a deer, the way we treat valued fish, like trout and salmon. If folks shot little harpoons into elk, wrestled them down long enough to snap a photo and then let them go, we'd probably arrest them and talk about their abuse of animals, but not when it comes to fish. It sounds like you're also recognizing that C&R is not 100% non-lethal; some released fish do end up dying from the experience. That has been pretty well documented, thought the percentages depend a lot on the skill of the angler and the species, time of year, conditions, etc.
                          I've had similar thoughts and fly fishing is one of my favorite things to do, as is spin fishing. It's hard to square up a belief that there's something creepy and not quite right about strict catch and release fishing, with the fact that there are simply too many people fishing, for us all to be keeping our catch. If everyone kept the fish they caught, our fish populations would be decimated in short order, or at least in most of the country. I don't have a great solution to that conundrum for you, but what I tend to do is practice "selective harvest." I generally fish with the thought that I might keep some fish, but I select only those that seem like the best fish to keep and let the others go. I tend to have a slot limit, where I release the smaller and the bigger fish, while keeping some that are in the middle. Sorry if I've misread what you were trying to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougfir View Post
                            I think I may understand what you're trying to get at; that there's a fundamental conflict between the ethics we use in C&R fishing and the ethics we use when dealing with other animals we want something from, be they farm animals, or wild game. That we would be apalled by someone treating a valued mammal, like a goat, or a deer, the way we treat valued fish, like trout and salmon. If folks shot little harpoons into elk, wrestled them down long enough to snap a photo and then let them go, we'd probably arrest them and talk about their abuse of animals, but not when it comes to fish. It sounds like you're also recognizing that C&R is not 100% non-lethal; some released fish do end up dying from the experience. That has been pretty well documented, thought the percentages depend a lot on the skill of the angler and the species, time of year, conditions, etc.
                            I've had similar thoughts and fly fishing is one of my favorite things to do, as is spin fishing. It's hard to square up a belief that there's something creepy and not quite right about strict catch and release fishing, with the fact that there are simply too many people fishing, for us all to be keeping our catch. If everyone kept the fish they caught, our fish populations would be decimated in short order, or at least in most of the country. I don't have a great solution to that conundrum for you, but what I tend to do is practice "selective harvest." I generally fish with the thought that I might keep some fish, but I select only those that seem like the best fish to keep and let the others go. I tend to have a slot limit, where I release the smaller and the bigger fish, while keeping some that are in the middle. Sorry if I've misread what you were trying to say.
                            To be fair, the bass fishing world is at least as zealous about C&R as the fly fishing world.

Comment

what great technique on display here. he basically harassed a fish for what he calls sport. how about we do the same with deer and elk and call it sport? let's shoot a small harpoon at the elk, drag it in, take a photo and then release it.

All I am saying is if you hunting and fishing for "sport" as opposed to for food is sadistic. and to attach a great philosophy to it is even more so.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad