Ultra-Realistic Fly Tying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultra-Realistic Fly Tying

Here are some incredible ultra-realistic flies tied by Graham Owen. The one titled “Baby red eared turtle” looks like he just stuck a hook trough some poor turtle. Same with the mayflies. The camelback spider just plain creepy! I think it is especially interesting how he shows himself tying these flies step-by-step.

Henry these are amazingly good , true works of art . It is something to see how a tyer can take his skill so far , well beyond what I thought could be accomplished ! Thanks for posting them! I will be looking forward to more of Graham Owens creations.

Comment

Thanks for the post they all look great. Its amazing seeing all these new fly creations. I've been working with a lot of foam myself that stuff makes some realistic flies as well. I'll look at stuff like this to get ideas then I'll create my own fly.

Comment

The thing about ultra realistic flies is that while they are definite works of art, they may not be a great choice for fishing. In my experience they might not float well. They don't have the proper motion in the water to attract fish and can be rather fragile.

So if you're thinking they're be fantastic for fishing, you might well end up disappointed,

Comment

Originally posted by Nyflyangler View Post
          The thing about ultra realistic flies is that while they are definite works of art, they may not be a great choice for fishing. In my experience they might not float well. They don't have the proper motion in the water to attract fish and can be rather fragile.

So if you're thinking they're be fantastic for fishing, you might well end up disappointed,
          I posted these mostly for the visual appeal. I personally believe that movement, bugginess, and perhaps a color trigger contribute more to a flies attraction than exact imitation.

Comment

Those ties are impressive and definitely works of art. The baby turtle is especially realistic. I have always found that the simplest flies that use only a few materials but have realistic action in the water work best. Here in Montana it is hard to beat a rubber leg stone fly or san juan worm if you want to catch fish.

Comment

Please refrain from your proverbial responses.... I'm looking for info on the super realistic patterns that I see people post on IG and YouTube.... A lot of the flies look almost exactly identical to what you can find out in nature and I've always been curious if those actually catch more fish... I ask this question as someone who is interested in tieing my own flies snaptube vidmate in the future, and I could see the artist in myself want to branch out into hyper-realistic bug patterns.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad