How to deal with fishing addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with fishing addiction

I'm in Highschool, started fly fishing this summer. Caught my first fish on a Parachute Adams. I can't stop thinking about it. It's all I want to do. And it's not just fly fishing, fishing in general. I can only go fishing twice a month max . It's driving me nuts. I'm sure some of you have experienced this. Anyone come up with something to help deal with this?

Yes start tying flies haha. Anytime I get free time and start thinking about fishing I'll do some searches on the net trying to get more info on the fish I'm catching. So when I'm On the water I know what to throw. Also I love talking about it so I'm on a bunch of forums. Good luck with your addiction and anytime you itch get out and enjoy yourself.

Comment

I know what you mean, but it's hunting for me. Solitario is right, I like to get on a bunch of forums, or read about hunting (stories, gear reviews, tactics, anything), scout for places to go, different things like that.

Comment

There is no dealing with it. There is only fishing or not fishing, and not fishing really sucks. All you can do is make adjustments (or drastic changes, whatever's needed) to free up some more time. Why only twice a month?

Comment

I can relate to your dilemma. Perhaps I rationalize but view fishing as more of a passion than an addiction. I consider a good thing to be passionate about great things in life. Fishing is a challenging, yet relaxing pastime. I grew up on a farm. As a result, I could only take time to go fishing when it rained enough to keep us out of the field and away from other chores. That was probably a couple of times a month. It was always on my mind though and I spent the time planning my tactics and I took up "lure feeling".

When I had to go to town for groceries, spare parts, etc. I took a few minutes to stop by stores that carried fish lures. I didn't have enough money to buy anything but I loved looking through the numerous fish lures that stores carried. I'd read the packaging about how to use them and I observed their operation. I would then think about them daily, deciding which specific one would be the next addition to my tackle box. I'd set priorities and plan which lure or fly would give me the most bang for my buck with the fishing I could reach.

Hang in there and enjoy your passion. Spend whatever time you can researching your kind of fishing on the internet and find some fishermen in your area you can talk to. Don't give up. Over time, you will hopefully get more time to pursue your passion. But keep in mind, sometimes with a passion like fishing, the blessing of getting time to get out can be as good as catching a marlin. Seeing nature's beauty just might not be quite as attractive if you saw it every day. Then again... every day sounds good to me!

Comment

Fishing is 'American as Apple Pie'.

Comment

I found women the only viable distraction. And as that seems to be leaning toward only a couple times a month, I think I'll again give fishing fuller attention : )

Comment

The addiction may be permanent, at least it has been for me. I caught my first fish when I was three years old and 69 years later, I'm still hard at it. Girls may be a distraction, but you can take them fishing with you, and later in life, you may come to appreciate what one eminent sage said about sex, "The pleasure is fleeting, the expense is damnable and the position is ridiculous."

Comment

Well at least this is a good kind of addiction!! There's no real cure sadly just try to watch videos and read articles, and try not to buy too much gear!!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    I found women the only viable distraction. And as that seems to be leaning toward only a couple times a month, I think I'll again give fishing fuller attention : )
                    Lol! I think I'm in the same "boat" forgive the pun !

Comment

One day, you might think you've kicked the fishing habit. But it's a lie. Years later it can reassert itself, without warning.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Snapshot
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        Outfitter advised that I take $2,000 US with me to Africa and pay the rest with my VISA. Turns out I didn't need more than $700 cash (could have got...
                        Today, 08:26 PM
                      • Snapshot
                        by jhjimbo
                        What do you use for photography while hunting, traveling, around camp ? Digital or 35mm or other ?
                        I am taking my old 35mm Ashi Pentax this year...
                        Yesterday, 04:28 PM
                      • Reply to Give them all they need ...
                        by 99explorer
                        Simple explanation of the emoluments clause.
                        When a U.S. president receives payments from a foreign source, he has a conflict of interest, which...
                        Today, 07:29 PM
                      • Give them all they need ...
                        by jhjimbo
                        I think President Trump is giving the MSM all the rope they need to hang themselves. When he thinks he has enough evidence to make his case I think he...
                        10-19-2019, 08:47 PM
                      • Reply to Snapshot
                        by FirstBubba
                        Don't know that I've ever had enough cash to be overly concerned about a "money belt"! LOL!
                        I've never carried over about $1500.
                        Today, 07:27 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X