Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello all! It's been quite a while since I've been on the site...school has gotten the best of me. Anyways, this question goes out to all you fly fisherman. I've decided I want to try out fly fishing this summer, to give myself yet another new chal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all! It's been quite a while since I've been on the site...school has gotten the best of me. Anyways, this question goes out to all you fly fisherman. I've decided I want to try out fly fishing this summer, to give myself yet another new chal

Hello all! It's been quite a while since I've been on the site...school has gotten the best of me. Anyways, this question goes out to all you fly fisherman. I've decided I want to try out fly fishing this summer, to give myself yet another new challenge. I was wondering if there is anything i should know besides what i can find on youtube or on the site. Any tips or suggestions pertaining to gear, technique, or where and how to fish would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always, Jack

A good place to start practicing your cast would be in the middle of a large lawn with no trees nearby, and no hook on the line.
    Good luck.

Comment

Welcome Back Jack!
      Hey that rhymes?

Comment

I agree with 99explorer practice in an open space until you get comfortable. I would suggest starting with medium action 5wt. Practice is more important than what rod or gear you have. There are a bunch of good videos on youtube, i think the most helpful are the Tight Lines fly shop videos. I think Orvis and ll bean provide free casting classes as well.

Comment

A park area that's not used much is a good place to practice. And stick to the grass. Gravel or asphalt will ruin the fly line. Also, use leader and tippet so you can practice tying it on. Tie a couple of small bits of yarn to the end of the tippet to imitate a tied fly. Or simply use a fly with the hook broken off. Have a moist sponge handy during practice sessions to keep your line clean. Otherwise you'll notice some difficulty casting (dirty line drags on the guides).

Several sites on the net provide excellent illustrations with instructions on how to tie the various knots you'll need to know.

Master single hauling technique. Double hauling is difficult to learn and something best attempted once you're more experienced. Also, if you will be fishing small water that's tight for backcasting space, learn to roll cast. A 5wt outfit in 7.5' or 8' length rod would be good to start with. Weight forward line is best for beginner. You'll likely need waders. Go with breathable stocking foot + wading boots. Quality breathable waders can be had on the net at reasonable prices. Don't bother spending a lot of money on wading boots. They often don't last very long even if they're Cadillac-priced. Neoprene waders are too hot, too clumsy, and too difficult to handle in situations with a lot of current. A good fly fishing vest is a worthwhile and usually quite affordable investment. Be sure to try it on before buying. Sizes on different brands will vary quite a bit. Some are also designed purposely short for the float tube guys. They don't have as much storage space and pockets are a pain for long-armed guys to access. I prefer snap closures on my vest as opposed to Velcro. Velcro wears out too quickly. A manual type fly reel is probably best for most situations. Again, no need to get reel fancy (pun intended). I picked up a like new 3M Scientific Angler System 2 on Ebay for less than $20 and it stood up to five months of very hard fishing in Alaska.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad