Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to learn to fly fish and use it for all types of fish but does this mean i cant use all of my regular lures that i used f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to learn to fly fish and use it for all types of fish but does this mean i cant use all of my regular lures that i used f

I want to learn to fly fish and use it for all types of fish but does this mean i cant use all of my regular lures that i used for my spinning rod like my frogs and crankbait ?

Probably not in spinning rod sizes, but Worden's Flatfish is available in smaller sizes, like F1 or F3. Then there is the Rebel Lures Crickhopper and Bumblebug, which are miniatures, as well as the Acme Kastmaster.
    Check out your Cabela's catalog.

Comment

You can fly fish using the stripping technique and creature feature type flies (mouse, leech, etc.), but these are difficult to cast, require a heavy rod, and stripping is hard work. It will wear most guys out quickly. Your spinning lures won't work well as they are too heavy. You may be able to cast them with some difficulty ... if you can keep their hooks out the back of your head! It can be done but it's not fun, somewhat dangerous, and generally not very effective.

Comment

Cast a spinning lure and watch it keep going and going and going.

Comment

I've caught bass and perch on the little fly sized popping bugs. Boy! Is that a blast!
          I've been in fly shops and saw a lot of different options. You're just going to have to think outside the box.
          A streamer instead of a spinner, a popping bug instead of a topwater plug. The possibilities are endless.

Comment

It does mean you can't use ALL your stuff. Today, because of this question, I put a tiny yo-zuri minnow on and was able to cast it with my 8wt. I wouldn't suggest it though and it really takes away from the fly fishing experience. Bass bugs, poppers, divers, streamers, and terrestrial flies like dragonflies, grasshoppers, etc and I believe crayfish flies fit in with that too, are your best bets. I've been using a mouse fly lately and have been decently successful.

Comment

Yeah, sg72. Do you find those mouse things cast like a balloon? Same with articulated leech pattern. Not for the novice. And make sure you're wearing a hood, especially if wind is up. You need a heavy rod for those things, that's for sure. Today I spent an afternoon using a 9wt in a stiff wind and my wrist is already throbbing. Tomorrow I will be all but incapacitated.

Comment

Sorry, that was actually me. I thought I logged into my account but apparently not. So, to Ontario Honker, I have not found that they cast like balloons. I don't have a problem until the wind starts and then I move to big weighted streamers because I find them easier to cast in the wind. I spent the afternoon in some light wind using an 8wt today but the other day in some heavier wind I actually hit myself in the head with a clouser, no hood, just a hat. I'd say I was lucky.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad