Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a leftover piece of Spirit River UV2 Firetiger bunny strip from a streamer pattern I was tying and I was wondering if any

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a leftover piece of Spirit River UV2 Firetiger bunny strip from a streamer pattern I was tying and I was wondering if any

I have a leftover piece of Spirit River UV2 Firetiger bunny strip from a streamer pattern I was tying and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to use it for? Is there any specific fly I should use it for or if anyone has their own pattern? I would use it to tie one of my own streamers but I'm out of fish skulls and won't be getting more for a while and I don't want to possibly waste it on an experimental fly.

If you have deer hair you can use it for a dahlberg diver you would use the bunny strip for the tail, spin and then trim the deer hair as the head. There's a lot of good instructional videos of them online. Its a great bass fly, perfect for the summer.

Comment

Don't be afraid to be creative! Save the fish skulls for now, but don't be surprised if you make something that looks great, but you wish that you had a fish skull in the front.

There are an infinite number of things to do with bunny fur, even in small pieces. Depending on your tying experience, what you fish for, and how much you have, here are some suggestions:

If it's a decent-sized piece, tie whatever you normally tie with it, but size down the hook to match the leftover fur. You can then use it unweighted in a tandem streamer rig with something else of a different style, and you give the fish two options with every cast.

If it's a smaller piece, and if you're able to make your own dubbing loops from the fur trimmed from the hide, use it to make a rabbit fur head for a Shenks Streamer, which is Tim Holschlag's favorite smallmouth pattern. I haven't found a good video of the pattern, but you can get the recipe online. The rabbit fur head is the tricky part, and you want to trim it so that it has a big head and narrow waist, like a carrot going top first. The current will make it dance, and smallmouths will love it.

If you've never made a dubbing loop, but you'd still like to make a nice smallmouth fly out of it, there are still several options. First, you could wrap the fur, hide attached, for the Shenks Streamer above, then trim it in the same way. It's have a little more bulk, but it would otherwise fish the same. Second, you could palmer wrap the hide in place of the chenille body for a woolly bunny bugger. Third, if you prefer, you could also tie it in as the tail instead of the marabou on a Marabou Muddler Minnow.

If you don't like any of those options, or if you'd like something more visual, go to YouTube and do searches for "pike flies" or "bunny flies" and you should find a ton of cool options.

Good luck!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad