Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So a few weeks ago I got a 40 year old glass fly rod off a friend's dad. This morning I took it to local trout pond that had jus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So a few weeks ago I got a 40 year old glass fly rod off a friend's dad. This morning I took it to local trout pond that had jus

So a few weeks ago I got a 40 year old glass fly rod off a friend's dad. This morning I took it to local trout pond that had just been stocked for winter ice fishing and what a fun rod! I can't wait to throw some dries on a stream this spring with it. Anybody here fish glass fly rods?

Have used glass in the past but after breaking a couple older glass rods, I have stopped using them.

Comment

40 yr old glass rods are pretty much a piece of junk. Yours is probably 8 ft. long, and at least made for a 7 wt line. They do make new glass rods in shorter lengths, and for lighter lines that are fun to fly fish with, and perform well. I just bought a 7 fter for a 4wt line, and enjoy it. A few yrs back I had a garage sale, and sold a number of those old glass rods for .50 cents ea. A good performing modern rod doesn't cost all that much money today, and perform far, far better than those old, glass rods.

Comment

And I am strictly talking functional, no emotional ownership included. I've had a person show up at one of my fly fishing schools saying it was my dad's, or my grand fathers, and they wanted to use it, and I tell them flat out they will have a very hard time learning to cast using that rod. "Here, use one of mine," and I go on to telling them for how little money they can buy a decent fly rod...nuff said.

Comment

Like I said just pond fishing but it casted quite nicely! The pond is fed directly by a small stream so there is a stream-like current that flows through it. I was just nymphing and was able to cast 30-40' with no problem at all. The fun came when I hooked in to a fish. A 12" stockie felt like a 20" wild. The rod by the way is a Fenwick, it's 7'1/2" and a 5-6wt.

Comment

That would be a good glass rod. Fenwick made the best, and engineered the Ferrulite technology of fitting the sections together.

Comment

Some info on those ferrulite ferrules Fenwick designed you may, or may not know. Fenwick use to provide instructions on how to join the rod together. You don't line up the guides, appose the guides from each other, and as you easily bring them together you TWIST the sections lining up the guides. This move locks the sections together. Taking them apart you UNtwist. Straight force down to join the sections spreads out the ferrule, so that in time the sections will fit loose besides the damage that can be done. And rod sections stuck together, and warm days can do it? I don't use the tricks like between the legs, or behind the back. I find another person that will two hand grip the butt, while I two hand grip the tip section above the ferrule, and twist them back off. And holding the rod down to the ferrule in cool, or cold water does wonders.

Comment

I'm wondering if the rod is what you say? One the rod it says FF755 the 755 I presume is 7'5" 5-6wt. Could the FF be ferrulite ferrules?

Comment

*On not *one

Comment

Let me see...no, not the ferrulite ferrules. It probably stands for fly fishing, and the 755 would be a 7.5 length rod for a 5 wt. I use to sell those rods in my fly shop, and had the nomenclature down.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad