Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for Musky fly anglers: What rod do you use/recommend? I'm looking for something mid price range that I can cast big f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for Musky fly anglers: What rod do you use/recommend? I'm looking for something mid price range that I can cast big f

A question for Musky fly anglers: What rod do you use/recommend? I'm looking for something mid price range that I can cast big flies with. I was looking at Orvis Access and G. Loomis Pro4x 10wts.

A ten weight outfit will wear you out in short order. I realize these fish are fighting machines but you're also looking at something that's hard to find and finicky. That spells a lot of casting. I don't fish muskies but I have been in situations where I had to use heavy equipment exclusively (high winds and weighted flies) for very hard fighting fish (salmon). Try to get by with 8 or 9 weight. Fishing from a boat I presume? If so, a nine foot rod might do. From a float tube or pontoon you'll need something a bit longer.

Comment

I agree. Use a good 9 wt. Mine is a Sage, but any quality rod will do.

Comment

I agree. Use a good 9 wt. Mine is a Sage, but any quality rod will do.

Comment

A friend of mine is pike and muskie crazy. He uses a 9' 8wt but I've heard him say he sometimes wishes he had a longer rod.

Comment

He fishes a Cabela's Lsi and says it performs very well especially for it's price. I think he paid like $250 for it online. He actually sounds like a salesman when he talks about it he likes it that much.

Comment

Honker is correct. Casting a heavy rod all day can be tiresome but it's easier to cast a larger fly with a larger rod. It's a trade off.

All I can say about muskie on the fly is "Good Luck!"

Comment

Fast action 8 wt. could do it if you could tie up tube flies so you have less hook weight, and resistance to cast. Ever watch the show Muskie Hunters? And I've watched others as well. Many of the muskie caught are using the figure EIGHT technique to hook a following muskie. Muskie gets hooked near the boat, and splashin, and thrashin follows, but no line pulled off the reel! I know they use big outfits, but what's with that? Count to 10 while he thrashes, and lay the net under the Muskie, and take a picture.

Comment

I've bought some very large muskie flies and have found my 9ft 8 weight with short aggressive taper fly line is not strong enough fornthe large flies. I am looking at upgrading to a 10 or 12 weight specifically for the muskie flies.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad