Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To go off my last question. What strike indicators do you use the most and/or like the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To go off my last question. What strike indicators do you use the most and/or like the best?

To go off my last question. What strike indicators do you use the most and/or like the best?

When high-stick nymphing I like strike putty but hate that it leaves residue on the leader. When just drifting nymphs I generally use thingamabobbers but hate the way they curl up the leader.
    That New Zealand strike indicator looks like it would be a good replacement for a thingamabobber. I was wondering how it holds up cast after cast.

Comment

A thingamabobber is pretty much my go to, with the same pet peave as yours. Luckily a couple of passes with a leader straightener helps some.

I have not had a chance to check out the NZ indicator yet. If it looks good I am sure I will test it out after waterfowl and pheasant seasons are over.

Comment

You can make your own very easily. Buy the high density foam CORKIES that steelheaders use to catch steelhead. I've got thousands of them from steelheading. They cost around .15 cents apiece. They come in lots of different sizes. Use a small one for lightly wt'd smaller flies, etc. Take a 5" piece of floating, running line from a WF old floating line to be discarded. Shove both ends through the center hole with some Gorilla Glue on the ends, and Gorilla Glue also floats by the way. Leave a small loop of running line on the one end, and two tag ends sticking up on the other end. You may have to take a big needle, and ream the hole out slightly, and maybe slice taper the ends of your running line piece. Now you can easily place the strike indicator on, and off wherever you want. Just double up the leader through the loop hole, and around the corky. They come in all kinds of colors. The tag ends sticking out can be used to indicate a twitch, and a take. They are very light, and easy to cast. And did I mention fun to make?

Comment

I'm usually tossing streamers so I dont use one then. Other than that I usually use just the pre-made yarn/wool indicator like the stuff for the NZ indicator. I don't do much flyfishing anymore since I moved to the south.

Comment

Thanks Dangle, I'll give it a try. I do like thingamabobbers but only in certain situations. I need something for low clear water. and even the smallest thingamabobbers spook fish. I've never used yarn indicators before but I know they land a lot softer on the water.

Comment

You can chose a small corky that will land as light as a piece of yarn, and no need to dry it out, and use fly floatant on it. Everything float, the running line, the glue, and the corky. I even watched a well known fly tier tie a Gorilla glue dry fly. The glue expands when it dries, and is full of air bubbles. Don't use super glue; it decomposes the foam in the corky.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad