Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought my first fly rod. it was a 4 wt st croix imperial I got on sale for $100. Id like to mess around and try to catch some

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought my first fly rod. it was a 4 wt st croix imperial I got on sale for $100. Id like to mess around and try to catch some

Bought my first fly rod. it was a 4 wt st croix imperial I got on sale for $100. Id like to mess around and try to catch some perch. Anyone have any recommended flies?

For perch I have no idea. I assume you'd be lake fishing so maybe they would bite a san juan worm.I don't know if they would chase a small wooly bugger or not. One stream that flows to a local resevoir has perch in it and I have caught them on nymphs while trout fishing.

Comment

Perch? I'm not sure but if you have smallmouth nearby I'd grab a couple chartreuse poppers and hit the local stream. The smallmouth bite has been phenomenal the last few weeks.

Comment

When you make the big decision to flyfish there's no messin around: all serious binuss! Learn to cast well, and control the line, and you can catch lots of fish with that outfit.

Comment

And your best bet for perch would be a flashy, minnow imitation, simulating, not exact, like a lightening bug tied on a jig hook, soft hackled. I fish lots of them that I tie up. All depends on the depth that the perch are at....18-20 ft forget it. But 8-12 ft you've got a good chance. Bead headed, tungsten preferred to get down on a dry line, and long leader. That one could even be fished below a strike indicator set to depth, and slowly bob the indicator along. If surface water ripples that would jig the fly.

Comment

When you say perch, are you talking about yellow perch, or sunfish? Where I live, they call sunfish perch...
            Sunfish are a lot of fun on a fly rod, and will bite just about any surface fly. Like Buckhunter said, poppers are great for smallmouth, and if it is sunfish you are asking about, they love little poppers too, and small grasshopper patterns, etc. Experiment!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad