Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just got finished with another John Gierach book and cant put them down when I start. He is a very colorful author. Is there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got finished with another John Gierach book and cant put them down when I start. He is a very colorful author. Is there

I just got finished with another John Gierach book and cant put them down when I start. He is a very colorful author. Is there any other authors that you all enjoy and could recommend?

Gossy...here are a few recommendations.

James Prosek "Flyfishing the 41st" Great story and you learn about all kinds of trout species you never knew existed. As an example, one chapter that stuck with me featured James diving with trout in a war-torn abandoned city in Bosnia. The stream bottom was littered with spent rounds.

Nick Lyons"Confession of a Fly Fishing Addict" Classic stories from his experiences all over the world.

David Ames "A Good Life Wasted" All about the trials and tribulations of becoming a guide in MT.

Comment

"A Good Life Wasted" is a great book, as is "Carp on The Fly" and "Death, Taxes and Leaky Waders" also by Gierach

Comment

John Merwin has a great book about trout fishing North America.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I think I have been through all of Gierachs books now. I like that he tells the storys "around" the fishing not just the fishing.

Comment

I'm reading, harry middleton's

"the earth is enough"
            Flyfishing, Trout, and Old Men

it's staged in the Ozarks so I'm bias.

really good sofar though, but not quite the Gierach style.

Comment

Read One Man's Wilderness
              It is based on a man who retreats to the Alaskan bush in the early 1970's and he tells how he survived out there.

Comment

John Traver will keep you in the book for hours. He tells of many childhood trips and adult year follies,you should try him out.

Comment

I'll third any of Dave Ames books!! Very good reads.

Also liked the RiverWhy? by David James Duncan. A little slow at the beginning, but worth it!!

Comment

ETangler was really close with his suggestion. The author he was trying to tell you about is Robert Traver (that is his pen name), whose real name is John Voelker. He was, in my opinion, the best racontuer of fishing stories.
                    John was from the Upper Pennisula of Michigan, and was a state Supreme Court Justice. That is, until he wrote his famous book, "The Anatomy of a Murder".
                    After that book was made into an Oscar winning movie, and quit to wrie fishing stories. He wrote my all-time favorite book "Trout Madness".
                    My favorite passage in that book is called "Testament of a Fisherman".
                    Here it is...Enjoy!

I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun.

RiverWhy? by David James Duncan is also wonderful!

Comment

I read a book called Unzipping my Fly. It was a funnier version of a john gierach book. I enjoyed it and had some good laughs but gierach is still the king.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Another New Upper
                        by PigHunter
                        That's a nice project! Have you tried the 6.5 Grendel and if so, what's your opinion of it?
                        Today, 02:05 PM
                      • Another New Upper
                        by DakotaMan
                        Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                        Today, 12:54 PM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by PigHunter
                        You're right, I'm an Agnostic. But, I've been a Christian, Sunday School teacher, and lay preacher. With an hour's prep I could probably deliver a decent...
                        Today, 02:00 PM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                      • Reply to 16 Years
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        Har, har, har. I need a life? Just shooting geese and pheasants doesn't constitute a life? Oops, you forgot about big bucks every year, African animals,...
                        Today, 01:58 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X