Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for FLY ROD, REEl, GEAR etc. for PANFISH and 2/3 pound BASS? thanks, all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for FLY ROD, REEl, GEAR etc. for PANFISH and 2/3 pound BASS? thanks, all.

Recommendations for FLY ROD, REEl, GEAR etc. for PANFISH and 2/3 pound BASS? thanks, all.

A fly rod is fun with any fish. For panfish and smaller bass,an ultralite rig that will toss small grubs and jigs on 3 to 4 pound test is a blast!

Comment

For a fly rod for panfish and bass, I'm assuming that it is your first rig, I would recommend getting a 5 or 6 weight combo package that should have all of the things that you ask in there. They will be balanced and you'll learn well on one. Once you have the action down you can upgrade.

Comment

Life long fly fisherman here. Before buying a whole new rod and reel go to your pro shop, tell them your experience level, where you fish, and what you're fishing for. Then ask them to put new line on your existing reel. People will spend thousands on new rods, and still can't cast for shit cause they are using old line. If this is your first real fly rod (and not that 20 dollar ugly stick/Daiwa combo we all started with) a couple of notes: 6 pieces just means it's more packable. Yes there's a higher probably for failure, but it's negligable. I have had a 4 piece for about 6 years now and the only problem I've ever had is having a section come undone because it wasn't in all the way and I casted too hard. PLUS more pieces mean smaller cases. That means Nox Vidmate VLC less room in your backpack, or if your paranoid like me it means you can keep it as your carry-on when you fly.

Comment

There are two ways to go in this issue.

1) a six foot spinning rod and a open or closed face reel with 3-4 pound mono.

2) a 7 1/2 or 8 foot two piece fly rod with 4-5-6 weight line, floating or sinking. A good fly rod reel is a Pfleuger (sp) and you are ready to go. Your flyline will need to correspond to the number weight of the rod

Operating a fly rod and line takes much more practice than a spinning rig but can be some what more enjoyable once mastered.

Good luck, wishing you much fun and good fishing !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad