Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to get into fly fishing, was wondering if it's worth purchasing a fly rod that comes all together in a package or puttin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get into fly fishing, was wondering if it's worth purchasing a fly rod that comes all together in a package or puttin

Looking to get into fly fishing, was wondering if it's worth purchasing a fly rod that comes all together in a package or putting one together. What are some brands that you all would recommend, line weight, rod length etc. Any advice would be great

I fished with a $50.00 Wal-Mart fly rod from a kit for quite a while when I started. It was adequate, but that's about all I could say about it.

If you have a little more money and are sure you want to spend it, you can get much better rods from Cabela's, Bass Pro, or any number of other retailers. Their start-up kits are decent.

OF course, you can always go all out on a Sage or Orvis rod, but they are very expensive.

As far as line weight, rod length, and the rest, it really depends on where you'll be fishing and what you'll be targeting. Most people will find a 9' five weight rod will work for a wide variety of fish. But if you're planning on going after Tarpon and Sailfish that will be a whole different story.

Comment

Tell the guy behind the counter what you will be fishing for, and he just may have a package deal that functions very well, and will save you money. The key here is not only the disposable money you have to purchase what you will need, but your commitment to flyfishing. "I may want to" doesn't get it.

Comment

I've had a couple of the Wally World Shakespeare Combo's! I wouldn't take one on a "real" fishing trip. They're fine for ponds and playing around, but spend a bit more if you're seriously considering fly fishing.

Comment

First Bubba. And I always thought you went first class.

Comment

The entry level combos from Cabelas are good. I know several people who have started with them.

Comment

anything that says fly fishing on it will be more expensive, Ive become a bit of tying material scout. im constantly looking for found materials. Feathers, foam and craft store stuff. That said i would look towards a 5wt, kind of allows for jack of all trades sort of rod if your willing to adapt and research. The Redington crosswater combo was my learning set-up 100-120$. I love it to death seriously death i might break it biting off more than i can chew one of the days (carp have me hooked lately) . I just put in the order for redington predator combo 8wt for larger flies. Big thing is get a casting lesson and start small, trout are pretty tough to learn to fool. Gills, crappies and bass are the best teachers in my opinion. cabela's has a three forks rod i ve used would work nicely also sales to like 70$

Comment

Dangle
                First class for Richie Rich ain't first class for Elmer Fudd! LOL!

Comment

When I started about 4 years ago I just bought a Cabelas starter kit. 8'6" 4/5 wt rod, already came spooled with backing, flyline, and a leader. It cost about $120 or so. I had it for a good 2 years before I upgraded to something bigger and better. Didnt have any complains about it.

Comment

I did the same as lostlure. Cabela's has good starter combos. Check their "bargain cave" I have found a lot of great deals there. On the site too they have a little rod buying guide that will get you set up for whatever type of fishing you'll be doing. Like stated above 8'-9' 4 or 5 weight rod can handle everything from panfish to trout to bass. I have a 8 1/2' 4 weight that I landed a 35" brown trout on with no problems from the rod. It was Cabela's traditions II rod I paid $100 for.

Comment

thermadflyfisher...You not only look at what "a rod can handle" regarding fish, but most importantly what size line wt. and rod handles the flies you will be casting! Many beginners start with a good sized wooly bugger. Throw that on a 4wt. and it doesn't cast all that good. The rod, and line matches the size of the flies you will be casting. Many anglers say, "how big of fish will that rod be able to catch?" Bad question.

Comment

Dangle, you sound a lot like clinchfu?? I agree. I have a friend who brought in a 20" rainbow on a 2wt. The rod can handle the fish it comes across, generally speaking. It's the ease and correctness of casting what fly you're using that puts a fish on the rod(if that makes sense). That said. A beginner with a 8-9' 4-5 weight will be able to play with dry flies AND streamers and be able to catch fish on both

Comment

Dunno about the 4 wt. That line wt. is designed for somewhat smaller flies, and not designed to throw descent sized streamers. If you do that you need a 6wt., but you are right in your approach. The 9' 5wt is said to be the biggest seller, and best all around rod for trout. And I designed a fly recently that has me all gigglish as to how well it performs. I luv throwing, fishing soft hackles, and this one is beyond good. We have a planted trout new city lake that I use as my labratory for testing leader performance, fly performance, casting practice, bug identification, and fishing. I have done very poorly at getting trout to take a bug. I've tried everything. Even the worm guys have done very poorly, and we see good sized trout cruising the lake. The last two days I've caught, and landed mucho many. So many times my thoughts don't produce, and it is back to the drawing board. This time I scored. Now I hope it works well on wild trout.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad