Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Been experimenting at the vice lately tying hoppers, streamers, maribou tubes, a few midges and elk hair caddis. I was wonderin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been experimenting at the vice lately tying hoppers, streamers, maribou tubes, a few midges and elk hair caddis. I was wonderin

Been experimenting at the vice lately tying hoppers, streamers, maribou tubes, a few midges and elk hair caddis. I was wondering if there are some timeless flys you keep in your box at all times? (time of year in mind to an extent) Thanks

Pheasant tail nymphs and gold ribbed hairs ear nymphs.

Comment

Besides the above hare's (as in rabbit, buckhunter) ear nymph, I also usually keep humpy, black prince, parachute adams and/or royal coachman, and gray wulff.

Comment

Honk, I noticed the second I hit enter I used the wrong word for hare but it was too late.

Comment

I spell it the wrong way all the time too. Just sticking it in your ribs a bit :-).

Comment

Parachute Adams, Royal Coachman, Black Knat, Bead Head Royal Prince, Wooly Bugger

Comment

Wolly Buggers and Egg patterns, especially the eggs.

Comment

I have a hare's ear soft hackle bead head nymph pattern that has produced well for me just about everywhere I've used it. Here's the recipe:

Tail - Hare's mask guard hairs
                Body - Hare's ear dubbing
                Rib - Fine gold mylar/tinsel
                Hackle - Partridge hackle
                Head - Gold Bead
                Thread - Black or tan (I prefer tan)

To see an approximate image of the final product, go here: flyillusions.com/2010/02/13/beadhead-soft-hackle-hares-ear/

Comment

Thanks guys, looks like i'm headed to the fly shop to pick up some more material friday. Have friend (chicken judge) picking up some hackle feathers this weekend hoping he doesn't leave any chickens bald.. well i guess if there not using the feathers i don't mind. tight lines.

Comment

For big trout and bass, I would have to say a size 4 rabbit strip sculpin:

Hook: Size 4 natural bend
                    Head: Small Sculpin Helmet (any color works)
                    Tail: Zonker rabbit strip (not cross cut), I like green/black
                    Body: Same konker rabbit strip
                    Collar: Krystal flash, I like red

Tie in the rabbit strip at the back of the hook, I like to leave about 3 inches of it for the tail (Cut to needs after fly is finished). Wrap the rest of the rabbit strip up the shank along with plenty of super glue under the leather. Near the eye, tie the rabbit strip off and tie in a few strands of krystal flash, extending all the way past the tail. Tie your knot, apply head cement and put the sculpin helmet on with some super glue. make sure the eyes on the helmet are facing downward from the hook, making the fly fall upside down and not get snagged on the bottom, where the 20 inchers feast in sculpins and crayfish.

Another great fly is a Glass chironomid.
                    Very simple:
                    Hook: Size 12-32 pupa/ emerger
                    Body: black thread
                    Ribbing:Perl or red crystal flash

Just wrap the thread all the way down the curved hook, tie in the flash, and wrap it up. Tie off and you are done. Coat in head cement before fishing.

Comment

Glass chironomid? I just bit my lip trying to say it!

Comment

I always have a few hornberg flies with me, they can be fished dry or wet, a pretty simple fly and fairly easy to tie.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                          by PigHunter
                          Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                          Today, 06:44 PM
                        • How do you fly ?
                          by jhjimbo
                          Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                          Today, 04:18 PM
                        • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                          by PigHunter
                          Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                          Today, 06:35 PM
                        • Handgun Laser Sights
                          by PigHunter
                          On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                          08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                        • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                          by PigHunter
                          Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                          Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X