Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can not figure out the Double Haul for the life of me, anyone have some tips.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can not figure out the Double Haul for the life of me, anyone have some tips.

I can not figure out the Double Haul for the life of me, anyone have some tips.

The double haul is not as hard as you think. Go to Youtube.com and loop-up Orvis double haul.

Comment

Here's a link that should help: www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/doublehaul/shtml

Comment

I rarely use it. Usually only useful in long casting situations. It's tough making the transition from single to double haul. I use it so rarely that I have difficult calling it up when I need it. Double hauling is also very useful in heavy wind when a heavy rod and even heavier line is necessary. And lots of muscle. I can't remember when I last used double haul with a light outfit though. I'm 6'1" and I can usually get what I need from single haul.

I learned it with a rod in my hand casting on an indoor tennis court but it seems most of the pros today want to teach it going through the motions without a rod in the hand first. Also, make sure your line is good and clean (always a problem on tennis courts because there's so much fuzz from the balls laying around). You'll want to be using a shooting taper line (not double taper and definitely not single taper). Keep at it, you'll get it eventually.

Comment

. Learning to double haul is a great asset to improve your flycasting. For one, it reduces the effort placed on the casting arm. Your off arm can now contribute up to 50% of the needed effort/line speed. Double hauling greatly assists you in casting into the wind as it can create good line speed. Double hauling assists in casting big wind resistant flies making it easier to place them on the water where needed. And lastly, once you learn to double haul it becomes the rhythm, or timing of casting. It becomes a beautiful coordination of both hands, and arms. And it is not that hard to learn. I could write a lot on the how to, but please go to one of the sites mentioned above. The guy from Orvis is exceptional, but others are good instructors as well...John Wulff has a great, easy method of learning how to double haul. I've taught how to double haul in my flyfishing schools now for over 30 yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
            I rarely use it. Usually only useful in long casting situations. It's tough making the transition from single to double haul. I use it so rarely that I have difficult calling it up when I need it. Double hauling is also very useful in heavy wind when a heavy rod and even heavier line is necessary. And lots of muscle. I can't remember when I last used double haul with a light outfit though. I'm 6'1" and I can usually get what I need from single haul.

I learned it with a rod in my hand casting on an indoor tennis court but it seems most of the pros today want to teach it going through the motions without a rod in the hand first. Also, make sure your line is good and clean (always a problem on tennis courts because there's so much fuzz from the balls laying around). You'll want to be using a shooting taper line (not double taper and definitely not single taper). Keep at it, you'll get it eventually.
            Yeah, quit flyfishing

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad