Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone used a scientific anglers fly rod and if so how was it was it good or bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone used a scientific anglers fly rod and if so how was it was it good or bad?

Has anyone used a scientific anglers fly rod and if so how was it was it good or bad?

They are OK for a low to mid range fly rod.

Comment

I agree, for what you pay there good, but you could get a better rod and reel combo from orvis or cabelas.

Comment

agree with the above...theyre good, cheap rods that are a little stiff for my liking but are fine for beginners...I have a 4-piece 5-wt that I keep around for friends etc...SA makes some decent starter-kits...

Comment

I bought one of the first graphite Sci Angler rods back in the early 70'. It was a good stick, but kinda weird. It had aluminum ferrules, and was a little stiff (as Kingfisher said).
          For a beginners rod, reel & line outfit you can't go wrong. They are inexpensive and well made. I reccomend to people who are "curious" and are thinking to get into the sport, to buy an inexpensive outfit to start out. If they if the "get the bug" after fly fishing for a while, they can upgrade their equipment, and keep the 1st things you buy as a backup (like if a fly rod tip eating pine tree bites the tip of your rod off....Believe me...IT CAN HAPPEN!!).
          Remember Sci Angler is one of the "Fathers of Modern Day Fly Fishing". In other words, They know what they are producing. I know a number of Sci Angler staff, whose job it is to produse, improve, test, and improve their products.
          LL Bean also makes a very good outfit, but it is a little more expensive.
          Also, you can go "ala carte", and buy individual components. Again more $, but you can tailor your gear to what you want to fish for. Temple Fork Outfitters rods and St. Croix make excellent, inexpensive gear.

Comment

Yea there good rods.

Comment

You get what you pay for when you go with Sci Anglers.

Comment

I bought this fly rod as my first. I learned to cast with it and it has a good feel and flex. Overall, a great rod for the beginning fly fisherman. I've since gotten several other rods that cost considerably more money, but for the money, the Scientific Anglers graphite rod is great value.

Comment

I have a Scientific Angler 8/9 fly rod that I bought in Walmart about 10 years ago for about $75. I planned to use it as a back up for some of my better rods. Well the fact is that I still use this rod and like it a lot. It is not a fast rod. In fact, it's considerably slower than my Orvis, Winston, Temple Fork or Diamondback rods. But I think that's what makes it appealing. You can "feel" this rod better as the line weight shifts from back cast to forecast making it easier to time and make good casts. I've caught big bluefish (15+ pounds), large stripers and false albecore on this rod. I like it so much that I just recently contacted some rod builders about putting new guides on it as the originals have started to separate from the blank and I've repaired them with fly tying thread...all I had. If I could buy another of these rods, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Just bought one at a pawn shop. 9' 8wt 2 piece. Set up for salt water with concept 79LA (large arbor) reel with backer and line. $40.00 asking price, I got it for just over 30. Brand new with wrapping still on it. My third fly rod purchased this way. I'm just starting out, and love it. Dad taught me as a kid 25 years ago, but haven't tried it since. On my 2nd year now. It was well worth the money I spent.

Comment

It was good to me!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad