Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have several questions about buying materials for fly tying, so I'm hoping to get as much info as possible in one thread. Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jan, I have not, and don't know of anyplace that it's commercially available, but I'll bet that it's every bit as hollow as you say. I'll keep an eye out for it. Happy tying!

Comment

Hollow yes, but not very durable. Lots of factors involved in hair that hasn't been discussed. Physical appearance can tell you a lot...like how long are the tips for comparaduns? You want very short tips. The color "grey" indicates the air portion of the hair stem. Diameter around tells you something. If I wanted to learn all about hair, and where to use it, I'd drop CHRIS HELMS a line...lives in Toledo, OH. That is his business, and he's da man. Had his street named after his business...Whitetail Lane. Self addressed envelope, and I am sure he'd send you a wealth of valuable info on deer hair etc. I have a spun, deer hair bug tied by Chris that he gave me, and said "go catch a big one."..I told him "no way" that on goes up on my fly tying room wall.

Comment

Chris Helm has some videos on tying with hair that are pretty informative. He is also the inventer of the "Brassie" hair packer.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Since I'm overseas and I don't have access to a fly shop or local tiers, I spend a lot of time online, both looking at videos and shopping around. I know that eBay can be a crap shoot, but I found a guy who has all sorts of exotic hide pieces available. I ordered some bison hide pieces (one dark and woolly neck piece, and one lighter body piece), blue wildebeest hide, some antelope (American Pronghorn, that is), musk ox, caribou, wild boar, Scottish Highlander (long-haired cow), ibex, mink tails, and one hide listed as "African Hide Hair" that he couldn't identify, but it looks like a piece of main and hide from a cape buffalo. All of the above sold for between $5 and $10. To be honest, I don't have high expectations, but it's fun to try new stuff. A lot of the hair does not appear to be hollow, so I plan to use it for bucktail-type streamers, and I'm pretty excited about the length of the Highlander, musk ox mane, bison mane, and (presumed) cape buffalo mane. It'll be July before I'm able to tie with any of these, but I'll report back what I discover.

Comment

Ten years ago, purchased honey bug material from E Hille Angler's Supply House Williamsport,PA. It went out of business and I can't find this exact color of Honey Bug material. It's listed as stock# 298, color orange.
            Its is more a pastel color, a very very light pastel orange. Does anyone know where I CAN FIND IT ??

Comment

Coach1, this thread is so old that I doubt that too many people will see your comment, and I don't have an answer for you. I'd recommend reposting your question as a new thread because there seem to be a lot of PA folks that post on the F&S site.

Good luck to you.

Comment

thanks

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser
                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                  Mine didn't slip around. I seem to recall some grippy stuff on the inside? Actually fit very tight.

My beef with neoprene is it can become
                  Today, 07:02 PM
                • No-Drill Adjustable Cheek Riser
                  by Buckshott00
                  Jury's still out on the Prism Scope vs. the Holograph. I invite you guys to check out my pictures and review and cast a vote.

I've got...
                  Yesterday, 04:45 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by PigHunter
                  Jim, there's no way that would be allowed on a modern construction site. Those holes were a potential death trap without something shoring up the sides....
                  Today, 06:57 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by Ontario Honker Hunter
                  Yeah. Too bad. Too bad this site doesn't have a moderator to flush BS artists like that noncontributory crm troll. He never gives up making a fool of...
                  Today, 06:52 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X