Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your fancy? flies from sporting goods stores or fly shops? Make your own? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tmike51
    replied
    I like to make my own for the fun and reward of it.

Leave a comment:

• Flytieflyfish
    replied
    huntingkid95, look around at places like walmart for a simple fly tying kit. They carry them every so often. That's how I got started. Now, 15 years later I have a good selection of materials and tools so I can tie just about any fly I normally use. Start simple and take your time.

Leave a comment:

• Flytieflyfish
    replied
    I like to see the flies in the sporting goods stores and the fly shops, then I go home and tie them myself if I can. If I can't then I try anyways until I figure it out.

Leave a comment:

• huntingkid95
    replied
    i want to learn how to tie flys but i don't know how. Since i don't how to tie flys, i like to get them from fly shops.

Leave a comment:

• CavRecon
    replied
    I love to tie my own. By far my preference.

Leave a comment:

• alpettibone
    replied
    I have always tied my own. And then when I have a a fishing trip come up i go out and spend ten bucks and get me some extra flies. I like to use variations of patterns and change things up with color and flash. I will never forget that first big bass or that first trout I caught on a fly i tied.

Leave a comment:

• tourneyking734
    replied
    I buy mine at fly shops or make my own, they handle the beatings they take much better than from places like Cabela's

Leave a comment:

• VT Outdoorsman
    replied
    I used to tie my own but i have not tied in a number of years. Im still fishing the flies i tied back then. Its a great way to spend the winter.

Leave a comment:

• ETangler
    replied
    Alot of the flies you find in stores or shops have a catch factor. They catch fishermen.

Leave a comment:

• ETangler
    replied
    I've been flyfishing for 30 years and there's no better feeling than to catch a fatty-boom-batty brown on a fly that you tied.

Leave a comment:

• gossy42
    replied
    I like to use my own. It gives a sense of accomplishment to catch a fish on one of your own flys. But with that said I do buy from local flyshops. For the most part the know the waters and what the fish want. There can be alot of knowledge in a fly shop.

Leave a comment:

• sayerbefiddlin
    replied
    I just want to say that I think that fly shops know what they are doing with just enough thread and materials whereas the sporting goods stores seem to have flies that appeal to the buyer not the fish.

Leave a comment:

• kjflorian
    replied
    I enjoy tying my flies. Not to mention you seem to learn more about the flies, feeding patterns, why certain materials work better, etc... I agree, it's a great hobby to have when your trying to avoid cabin fever in the winter; not to mention you tend to lose a lot of flies steelhead fishing, so fill the boxes before spring.

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    Sporting good stores they are cheaper than fly shops

Leave a comment:

• Charley
    replied
    Fly shops. My local fly shop has all the patterns i need around here, plus expertise and someone to jaw fishing with.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad