Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your fancy? flies from sporting goods stores or fly shops? Make your own? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats your fancy? flies from sporting goods stores or fly shops? Make your own? Why?

Whats your fancy? flies from sporting goods stores or fly shops? Make your own? Why?

When I've got time, especially in the winter, I like to tie my own flies. I make hackle out of pheasants, rabbits, ducks, geese, deer, and elk that I hunt throughout the year. There's nothing better than catching fish with your own flies.

Comment

I tie and buy both. Tie when I have time, as posted above, because it's just fun to do and a hoot catching a fish on something you've made yourself. Buy when I'm traveling, maybe, and stop in a fly shop and see something new. Or else buy a handful of "what's working"
      according to the local fly shop guy.

Comment

I tie most of my saltwater patterns because they're big and easy. I've lost time and patience for tying dries. Fly shop all the way.

Comment

tie, and only buy dry flys, and give stuff to Cermele for whatever reasons... and i agree with the "It fun to catch a fish on somthing you made you're self" saying too.

Comment

I tie my own all the way. I've tied boxes and boxes of flies, most I'll never use. I was an instructor for about 10 years so I had the opportunity.

I take pride in developing my own patterns from live insects.

John Merwin,
            I loved your book on trout fishing. I think the title was "North American Trout Fishing". I read it twice.

Comment

Buckhunter, did you ever think of selling you're excess flys? It's what i do and people are willing to pay good money for a dozen well tied flys.

Comment

Fly shops. Mass tied flies tend to not take the beating I give them as well as those from fly shops. Supporting fly shops is a responsibility of fly fishermen.

Comment

That's a very good point aklund.

alex, I've got a couple boys who'll need them after I'm gone.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, buckhunter. If you have a question about any of that stuff, our "Answers" section is the place to ask it.
                    Alex, I got pocket money by selling flies through the local hardware store when I was in junior high school. But I don't think I'd try tying for sale these days. Too much like work!

Comment

Fly shops. My local fly shop has all the patterns i need around here, plus expertise and someone to jaw fishing with.

Comment

Sporting good stores they are cheaper than fly shops

Comment

I enjoy tying my flies. Not to mention you seem to learn more about the flies, feeding patterns, why certain materials work better, etc... I agree, it's a great hobby to have when your trying to avoid cabin fever in the winter; not to mention you tend to lose a lot of flies steelhead fishing, so fill the boxes before spring.

Comment

I just want to say that I think that fly shops know what they are doing with just enough thread and materials whereas the sporting goods stores seem to have flies that appeal to the buyer not the fish.

Comment

I like to use my own. It gives a sense of accomplishment to catch a fish on one of your own flys. But with that said I do buy from local flyshops. For the most part the know the waters and what the fish want. There can be alot of knowledge in a fly shop.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad