Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just started fly fishing what can you tell me the best ways to cast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeeb
    replied
    All I did to learn is go on youtube and search "how to cast a fly rod" and the videos actually help considerally well.

Leave a comment:

• sskeanderson
    replied
    Scientific Anglers has a beginning Fly Fishing DVD. This will show you how to make basic casts, set up your reel with backing, fly line, leader and tippet. it addresses line weights, tapers, knots and basic stuff to get you started.

Leave a comment:

• Buffryan
    replied
    in the back yard at a hulahoop...a few casts every day and you will be learning very quick

Leave a comment:

• matouse3
    replied
    Book a trip with a pro- If the price limits you, get some videos from a library or internet. And of course, Practice, Practice, Practice.

Leave a comment:

• troutmad
    replied
    Deep, Regardless of what you may hear, it is really easy to cast a fly rod, if you learn haow to do it correctly!
    A few things I would suggest:
    1) Find a friend who knows how to cast well and ask him to help you.
    2) Join a local club, like the FFF or Trout Unlimited. Usually, they have seminars a couple of time a year. It is a good way to network and meet anglers. There is usually someone in a club who loves to teach beginners.
    3) Get a good video, and follow the "guru's" instructions. If you get a video by either Joan Wulff, Lefty Kreh, or Mel Krieger, you won't be sorry. Great ones: "Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting", "Lessons With Lefty ", "Joan Wulff's Dynamics of Fly Casting: From Solid Basics to Advanced Techniques", or "The Essence of Flycasting" by Krieger.
    Joan, Mel and Lefty have some great instructional books too.
    Most importantly....HAVE FUN!

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    replied
    There is just soooo much about casting that it would be tough to explain like this. I'd get a good book and read then practice.

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Go check out the video on Flytalk about casting like you're throwing a drink.

Leave a comment:

• chuckles
    replied
    If you can double haul, roll cast and master a drag free drift for nymph fishing you will catch alot of fish. It gets more complicated but those three techniques will cover most of your fly fishing life. Lefty Kreh wrote a great book about it which will last you through a lifetime of fishing. Lots of local fly shops have lessons and there is always the internet. Have fun you are in for a treat!

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    I like casting at a 45 degree angle from the side of your head.

Leave a comment:

• Taylor3535
    replied
    Roll casting... It's fairly simple and it eliminates a lot of the tree snags. Just google it and you'll find a lot of information on that technique.

Leave a comment:

• renegades
    replied
    by throwing your arm back and forth.

Leave a comment:

• I just started fly fishing what can you tell me the best ways to cast.

I just started fly fishing what can you tell me the best ways to cast.

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Thin Blue Line
    by FirstBubba
    Can't think of a single time I've thought, "Where is a cop when you need one?" and one appeared! 😖

My youngest was headed down...
    Today, 09:23 PM
  • Thin Blue Line
    by jhjimbo
    For all the men and women LEO's out there, this is your week. Thank You.
    Yesterday, 09:57 PM
  • Reply to TGIF; Slackers
    by fitch270
    Shades of Jimmy Buffett

Kenny Chesney

”Beer in Mexico”

Today, 08:28 PM
  • TGIF; Slackers
    by fitch270
    Finally got caught up at work. Three months and it’s full bore again. They’d better find some decent help or I’m retiring early.

Yesterday, 11:09 AM
  • Reply to TGIF; Slackers
    by fitch270
    Language warning.

The Offspring with a tune about leeching significant others.

”Why Don’t You Get A Job”

Today, 08:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X