Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just started fly fishing what can you tell me the best ways to cast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just started fly fishing what can you tell me the best ways to cast.

I just started fly fishing what can you tell me the best ways to cast.

by throwing your arm back and forth.

Comment

Roll casting... It's fairly simple and it eliminates a lot of the tree snags. Just google it and you'll find a lot of information on that technique.

Comment

I like casting at a 45 degree angle from the side of your head.

Comment

If you can double haul, roll cast and master a drag free drift for nymph fishing you will catch alot of fish. It gets more complicated but those three techniques will cover most of your fly fishing life. Lefty Kreh wrote a great book about it which will last you through a lifetime of fishing. Lots of local fly shops have lessons and there is always the internet. Have fun you are in for a treat!

Comment

Go check out the video on Flytalk about casting like you're throwing a drink.

Comment

There is just soooo much about casting that it would be tough to explain like this. I'd get a good book and read then practice.

Comment

Deep, Regardless of what you may hear, it is really easy to cast a fly rod, if you learn haow to do it correctly!
                A few things I would suggest:
                1) Find a friend who knows how to cast well and ask him to help you.
                2) Join a local club, like the FFF or Trout Unlimited. Usually, they have seminars a couple of time a year. It is a good way to network and meet anglers. There is usually someone in a club who loves to teach beginners.
                3) Get a good video, and follow the "guru's" instructions. If you get a video by either Joan Wulff, Lefty Kreh, or Mel Krieger, you won't be sorry. Great ones: "Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting", "Lessons With Lefty ", "Joan Wulff's Dynamics of Fly Casting: From Solid Basics to Advanced Techniques", or "The Essence of Flycasting" by Krieger.
                Joan, Mel and Lefty have some great instructional books too.
                Most importantly....HAVE FUN!

Comment

Book a trip with a pro- If the price limits you, get some videos from a library or internet. And of course, Practice, Practice, Practice.

Comment

in the back yard at a hulahoop...a few casts every day and you will be learning very quick

Comment

Scientific Anglers has a beginning Fly Fishing DVD. This will show you how to make basic casts, set up your reel with backing, fly line, leader and tippet. it addresses line weights, tapers, knots and basic stuff to get you started.

Comment

All I did to learn is go on youtube and search "how to cast a fly rod" and the videos actually help considerally well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad