Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey guys i have fished all my life but i have not yet learned the art of fly-fishing i would like to start but i am unsure of ro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey guys i have fished all my life but i have not yet learned the art of fly-fishing i would like to start but i am unsure of ro

hey guys i have fished all my life but i have not yet learned the art of fly-fishing i would like to start but i am unsure of rod wt ect i will be fishing lakes rivers and streams in texas for bass and bluegill any suggestions on what i should start out with?

The best all-around Flyfishing Combo would be a 9 foot rod and a reel spooled with 5 weight line. I'm a beginner myself, and that combo is what I've been advised on by avid flyfishers, Cabela's, Sportsman's Warehouse, Bighorn Fly Shop, you name it. Why argue with to experts? Look on Cabela's for their Genesis Flyfishing Combo/Kit, for around $150.00, you get a Flyfishing Comb and a small chest pack, fly assortment, nippers, forcepts, flyline, leaders, leader straightener, floatant, strike indicators, retractors and case for your combo!

Comment

tex,

this is a pretty good set up. small enough to feel the sunfish, but big enough to fight most bass. It could get a bit more difficult when throwing big hair bugs, but you should be able to make due...

Comment

Rezavoirdog offered good advice; you did not say how deep your pockets are. Getting into fly fishing can get real expensive real fast. Some of the combos are pretty good but lets face it something has to give somewhere to get so many items for $ 150.00. Usually with combos it’s in the quality of the reel. Rods today have come a long way and what cost a $100.00 today was $300.00 three years ago. I would recommend going up one line size to a 6 weight as some of those poppers can get a little big and a 5 may not have the umph to get it there. I would also consider spending a little more and getting something you may not ever need to upgrade. Here’s a plug for a fly shop (Crystalflyshop.com) in Colorado. They offer a 9ft St.Croix Imperial rod and an Amundson reel made from machined aluminum with a quality CENTER DRAG. Rio line, backing and leader to get you started all for about $285.00 including shipping. Yeah it’s a bit more money but it is a quality outfit that will last a lifetime. It will handle the little stuff and still be fun and have enough backbone when you hook into something a little bigger. Some of the reels that come on these combos have poor drags; some are simple pawl drags or offset disc drags. You don’t usually find quality center drags on reels until you get into the $250.00 class. Whatever way you go, buy a good book on fly fishing, one which explains the correct way to cast. Lefty Kreh’s “Presenting The Fly” (available now in paperback @ amazon,$ 17.00) will touch on just about everything you need to know to get started, and help you with that cast plus lots of useful tips. Have fun!

Comment

i'm not to worried about price yet because i honestly dont know how much i will have to spend but a wide perpesctive of items to get is always helpful thanks for the advice guys keep it coming i want to eventually know everything about all types of fishing its a long shot but its one of my goals

Comment

haresear,
            would you say a #6 rod is better than a #5 for trout?

Comment

The people who I am following have some great advice. FOLLOW IT!
              Deep, Regardless of what you may hear, it is really easy to cast a fly rod, if you learn how to do it correctly!
              A few things I would suggest:
              1) Find a friend who knows how to cast well and ask him to help you.
              2) Join a local club, like the FFF or Trout Unlimited. Usually, they have seminars a couple of time a year. It is a good way to network and meet anglers. There is usually someone in a club who loves to teach beginners.
              3) Get a good video, and follow the "guru's" instructions. If you get a video by either Joan Wulff, Lefty Kreh, or Mel Krieger, you won't be sorry. Great ones: "Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting", "Lessons With Lefty ", "Joan Wulff's Dynamics of Fly Casting: From Solid Basics to Advanced Techniques", or "The Essence of Flycasting" by Krieger.
              Joan, Mel and Lefty have some great instructional books too. If you can find it, get Lefty's Little Fly-Fishing Tips: 200 Innovative Ideas to Help You Catch Fish. It is a really fun read, FULL of great ideas and tips!
              Most importantly....HAVE FUN!
              Getting the right size is important when buying your first fly rod depends on what and where you plan to do MOST of your fishing.
              Manufacturers make from 0 wt to 14 wt rods. Where do you begin? I suggest a 8 1/2' to 9', 6 wt.rod for an all-around, general-purpose rod. You can go wrong. It is good for most trout and bass; for streams or lakes. It is not too heavy for pan fish (although a smaller rod is more fun), nor too light if you should happen to be lucky enough to hook on to a HAWG.
              I think the 0 wt. through 2 wt rods are a little eccentric, but we are all a little nuts! Don't use them for steelhead or salmon!

Comment

MartinFlyReels.com has a combo Balanced Kit.
                Comes with everything to cover the type fo fishing
                you plan to do. Don't cost an arm and leg.

Comment

Agreed with rezavoirdog answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad