Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to fly tying. When dubbing, I'm having trouble getting the synthetic material to actually "stick" to the thread. The softer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to fly tying. When dubbing, I'm having trouble getting the synthetic material to actually "stick" to the thread. The softer

New to fly tying. When dubbing, I'm having trouble getting the synthetic material to actually "stick" to the thread. The softer natural fibers roll on without any problems. Is there a dressing for the thread or something I'm missing? I've tried wax, I've tried dressing the thread with stick glue, but the fibers seem to roll off. Would apreciate any advice. Thanks

Hey Eric--

Different dubbing materials and threads don't react well sometimes. I find most synthetics are tougher to dub than natural materials--that's just the way they are. I know that a lot of it depends on what the dubbing is made from. I would say experiment a little if you can. Try some other sythetics that aren't as "coarse".

Also, make sure you're only applying small amounts to the thread--smaller amounts than you would normally use with natural dubbing. Applying thick balls of synthetic materials to the thread is frustrating, and while it takes longer to tie a fly, small amounts are the way to go wind on, and stay on better.

On the other hand, some people like the "buggy" look of synthetic dubbing so don't be too harsh on yourself--you may be making the fly even more attractive to fish . . . Check in at Generation Wild in the next week or two. I'm going to post a vid on how to tie a cadddis larvae and there's a bit about dubbing (coincidentally with a synthetic material). Hope this helps!

Comment

Well here's two sites that might be helpful.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/fly/fom/30311dubbing.html

http://www.ehow.com/video_2353534_dubbing-tips-fly-tying.html

I don't really know much about tying flys but I hope I helped anyway.

Comment

If i use a thread that isnt waxed i just take a tube of role on glue and just run it over the thread then when i when i spin the dubbing on it it sticks.

Comment

Try prewaxed thread or use roll on glue.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

If its a nymph body try a dubbing loop, or sometimes your thread can even be split and then add a little bits of dubbing in the middle, sping it until it secures the fibers and wrap in on.

If its a dry wax is good, but not to much, just enough to grab the loose dubbing.

Also it take practice. I used to use wax but with the correct pressure between your fingers and thumb you can dub anything onto the thread with out wax.

one more tip, keep researching, learning, and experimenting and you'll do great stuff and catch big fish with your own custom flies.

Comment

rub wax on your fingers,twist the dubbing around the line by rolling it between your fingers and then apply it to the body of the fly.Also they sell pre-waxed bobbin for this purpose.

Comment

try using prewaxed thread AND wax together. twist the dubbing on until it is really thin. it should be about as thin as your thread you are using.

Comment

I would suggest applying less dubbing than you think you should. Benromans is absolutely right.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad