Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

im just getting into fly fishing and want to know want to look for in a good trout rod (size, line weight, flies, etc) ill be fi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im just getting into fly fishing and want to know want to look for in a good trout rod (size, line weight, flies, etc) ill be fi

im just getting into fly fishing and want to know want to look for in a good trout rod (size, line weight, flies, etc) ill be fishing small streams in PA

Some will say that a lighter weight is better for you, but you will end up wanting to fish beyond these little streams, so get a 5 weight.

Comment

can't go wrong with a templefork, 4 pc, 8'6", 3 wt. and no this isn't a commercial.

Comment

I agree with shane - a 5wt. rod is probably the best rod you can have for all-around fishing. It will handle 10+ pound trout and 4" trout just the same. It is also much easier to learn how to cast than a 3wt. I would also suggest putting 6wt. line on the rod until you are comfortable with casting it. The heavier line will allow you to feel the rod better and it makes learning to cast a new rod a little easier, especially if you don't have any prior experience with a fly rod.

Comment

Don't spend too much money. Make sure you like it and can do it before you get crazy. I bought a $60 starter kid from Cabelas and I've used it for 2 years here in California streams and rivers in Alaska (for trout, not salmon) Its a 3 piece 6 weight. Depending on the size of fish you can plan accordingly from there.

Comment

When I first started I bought a low priced cortland in 5 wt for Co. I got hooked and shortly after bought two other rods one a 3 wt and one a 6 wt. Both very nice. I must agree a 5 wt is the way to go. with a good disc drag reel good weight forward (wf) line dacron backing and loop to loop connecter for line to leader. Friends of mine have orvis's, sage, st croix, temple forks and scotts they are all very nice Cabelas has great "starter" sets that would be great just stay away fro a cabelas reel had bad lusk myself with the sla. Orvis has a great book for fly fisherman and Lefty Kreh has great intructional books and videos for casting.

Comment

For starter flys, i'de have to say invest in wooly buggers. they r unreel! u catch everything on that s***! fish hard man!

Comment

Agreed with shane answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad