Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is fly tying worth it if i am going to just tie ants, spiders,poppers for bluegills, bass, and maybe if i get lucky i will get u

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is fly tying worth it if i am going to just tie ants, spiders,poppers for bluegills, bass, and maybe if i get lucky i will get u

Is fly tying worth it if i am going to just tie ants, spiders,poppers for bluegills, bass, and maybe if i get lucky i will get up to trout flies. I been buying them for 75 cents a piece and haven't lost one yet so i got a pile of them is it worth it.

It depends on your goal. If you want a new hobby, something to do in the winter then absolutely it is, if all you want is fishing tackle, just buy them. You can buy a lot of flies for the cost of all the equipment you need to tie flies.

Comment

Thanks for the answer and the help. I reload and shoot 400 rounds a weekend(until I can fish again) so I don't actually need a new hobby but if i can tie enough to save money then it might be worth it.
      thanks for you time

Comment

I figure it'll take several years of heavy fly fishing to break even on the fly tying vise and set up but if you plan on fishing your entire life it's well worth it.

Comment

i'm a little new to fly fishing but form what i have read and heard it's probbly worth it because you have to appeal to the local fish's diet to trick it into biting

Comment

i'm a little new to fly fishing but form what i have read and heard it's probbly worth it because you have to appeal to the local fish's diet to trick it into biting

Comment

Comment

It would be cheaper and easier just to go and buy your flies. Thats my opinion.

Comment

Worth it is an understatement. It's very rewarding in more ways than one.

Comment

If you account for the cost of materials and time spent tying the flies, you will never ever break even. If you are looking at fly tying from a strictly monetary stand point, you are much better off buying them. You could, however, discover that fly tying is a relaxing and entertaining hobby.

Comment

I started fly tying in order to save money also. rong answer. It is amazing how many different thread sizes and coloras you need. Then you need hackle, deer, elk, maribou etc and all of these in different colors in order to be able to keep up with the hatch and different streams, and reservoirs. It gets expensive.
                      I still tie my own flies and really enjo the feeling of catching a fish on a fly that I tied it is a great feeling and it takes time. I say pick your hobbies wisely so you have time to become good at them. I mostly tie when I am in Iraq for a yr or more then I dont tie much back at home.

Comment

Fly tying is worth it IF you learn how to do it, collect enough stuff, and like to do it. the "up-front" investment can be high, but once you get over the initial shock....It is well worth it. Try it..You will like it!

Comment

Fly tying is worth it IF you learn how to do it, collect enough stuff, and like to do it. the "up-front" investment can be high, but once you get over the initial shock....It is well worth it. Try it..You will like it!

Comment

Fly tying is generally done for the love of tying itself. It takes a LOT of flies tied to recoup the costs of the equipment.

Comment

Agreed with Golfing Sportsman answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad