Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got bit by the fly fishing bug hard last year. I bought a 7 weight to learn, got hooked. Bought a 10 weight for carp, bass, pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got bit by the fly fishing bug hard last year. I bought a 7 weight to learn, got hooked. Bought a 10 weight for carp, bass, pi

I got bit by the fly fishing bug hard last year. I bought a 7 weight to learn, got hooked. Bought a 10 weight for carp, bass, pike and now looking for a stream trout rod cause the 7 is too heavy. Is 2wt too lite or should i go 4wt.These are Michigan trout nothing too big.

2wt only if you're going to fish the smaller streams or creeks. 4/5/6wt for most trout. 4wt is great for drifting flies but a little light for stripping streamers. Since you already have a 7wt, perhaps a 5wt, medium flex, 8-1/2' to 9' - until you can't live without a tip flex 6wt, and a 7' and 9' 4wt, and a spey rod or two ....

Comment

I was hoping to keep the rod under 8 foot. I was eyeing basically a 6'6" or a 7' 6" in 2/3/4 I have yet to catch a stream trout bigger than say 18 inch brook trout.

Comment

kdog70,
        Why such a short rod?

I'd go 5 wt for Michigan waters. It'll give you a little bite if the wind starts blowing or you want to throw a big ugly fly. It'll also drop a fly lightly with a good double-taper line.

Comment

Where you at in MI?

Comment

18 inch brookie is a very nice stream trout. Congrats.

Shorter rod can become frustrating in a river like the Au Sable. Lighter weight line is also frustrating in the wind. I have short 1 & 4 wts but they normally only get used for small streams like Paint Creek. I also have an 8' 3 wt but it is a real pain in the butt when the wind starts blowing down the river. I've gone back to the truck when the wind kicked up to get a heavier rig. A 5wt is great for wading Michigan trout rivers because of its versatility. The longer rod is a big asset with mending and reaching.

Be sure to cast the combination you select. If you do go to a short light weight rod then consider a weight forward or trout taper instead of double taper. Easier to cast.

Comment

I live in Marquette, Mi just finishing up college. Well my other rods are 9 footers and I tried taking them to small small streams where I normally use my 4'6" ultra lite so I figured it would be easier to fish small streams with a small rod. I haven't got the steel head,salmon bite yet nor do I fish big rivers such as the Au sable river fishing yet even though its right near my home town. But after last year i cleaned up 5 Brook trout from 18-16 inches then added a few browns and Rainbows that were nice size I got hooked.

Comment

Wow! Access to historic trout streams along Lake Superior! Lucky guy.

I guess the short rod is the way to go. I'd suggest 4wt since you can use the extra backbone to bring in larger fish quicker. Also a bit more versatile. With a 2wt you may take all the fight out of the fish by the time you get it in. Okay if you are after dinner, but not for catch & release.

Joe Humphreys go over some good small stream tactics in his DVD, "A Casting Approach to Dry Fly Tactics in Thick Brush."

Comment

Wow! Access to historic trout streams along Lake Superior! Lucky guy.

I guess the short rod is the way to go. I'd suggest 4wt since you can use the extra backbone to bring in larger fish quicker. Also a bit more versatile. With a 2wt you may take all the fight out of the fish by the time you get it in. Okay if you are after dinner, but not for catch & release.

Joe Humphreys go over some good small stream tactics in his DVD, "A Casting Approach to Dry Fly Tactics in Thick Brush."

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I know i am going to end up with a ultra lite rod (0-2wt)but going to get a short 4wt. Thanks

Comment

I'd get a 4 or 5-wt rod. You can fish anywhere in the US with those rods, and most places in Canada if you know how to use them. I really like a 5-wt, but that is just a personal preference. Get both a 4 and 5-wt to try before you buy one, then you will know which one is right for you...

Comment

i have a 4 and 5 wt they are both good rods i hooked an 18 inch rainbow on my 5wt and it worked good i like my 5 cause its not to heavy or light of a weight

Comment

Getting new rigs for each fish is expensive. You mine as well get a rod that can work for a variety of fish. I'd go with a 4wt. No need for something you can only use for pretty small fish.

Comment

Kdog, 16" to 18" brookies...WOW...I'll move back to MI and be your "Rod Bearer" if you show me where you catch those monsters! I’ll even tie your flies on, and land your fish!
                            I can't disagree with most of the guys before me have said. It all depends where you are fishing. On the Big Manistee, the Big Water of the Au Sable, the Muskegon (further south) you need a rod for trout, like a 6 or 7 weight rod.
                            I grew up in Michigan, and spent my first 50 years fishing it's amazing waters. I also guided there. Unfortunately, I had to move to NC because I got a professorship there. Good fishin', but nothing like MI!
                            I have fished in every state in the U.S.A., except, sadly, Alaska, Washington, and Oregon, and in my opinion, there is no other state that has the diversity of species and environs to fish. Bar none!
                            I don't even think that most Michigander fishermen and women have an inkling what is within 300 miles from their homes, trout of various kinds, not to mention every other cold and warm water species that teem in Michigan's streams and lakes.
                            That is not even mentioning the fabulous hunting available in the Great Lakes State.
                            There are anadromous fish, like the salmon (5 species) and the steelhead...KDOG, go to the St. Mary's River that flows between the two Sault Saint Maries (Canada and Michigan) The St. Mary's has a continuous run of fish. In the spring steelhead, Summer Skamania and Atlantic salmon, in the fall there is pink, humpies, coho, and chinook salmon. In the winter, GO TO FLORIDA! It is way too cold in the UP, not to mention the snow!
                            You are in an angler's paradise! The UP is unbelievable!
                            Now, back to the question, what rod should I use...There again, it all depends on when you are fishing, or what you are fishing for, or where you are fishing.
                            If you would like to discuss this further, let me know how to get in touch with you.
                            PS: Go the Grand Traverse Bay and fish for the carp that cruise there. Dave Whitlock calls the "Golden Bonefish”…They are a HOOT! Use an 8wt. rod..And hold Onto Your Hat Bro!

Comment

Agreed with MLH answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                The latest rumors on the pandemic.
                                They have just discovered that drinking cow urine protects against COVID-19.
                                Who'd have thunk it?
                                Today, 10:38 PM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by 99explorer
                                I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                                Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                                Today, 10:19 PM
                              • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by FirstBubba
                                "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                                Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                                Today, 10:15 PM
                              • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                                by derek7
                                Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                                08-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X