Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i started tying flies a few years ago and have only been able to tie the most simple streamers. What do you think I should purch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i started tying flies a few years ago and have only been able to tie the most simple streamers. What do you think I should purch

i started tying flies a few years ago and have only been able to tie the most simple streamers. What do you think I should purchase for a way for more nymphs and dry flies? I don't want to drain my wallet but i don't want to get the worst materials out there. Name a few places to get these materials please

Tourneyking,
    First of all welcome to the club. I find that tying flies to be one of the most rewarding outdoor pursuits.

Find a fly pattern that works well in your area. You should be able to google the pattern and find the recipe (materials necessary to tie the fly) on the web. Go to Cabelas website or your local fly shop and order the necessary material for that one fly. If you keep doing this you will find that over the years you will build a large inventory of materials for a wide range of flies.

There are some short cuts you can take. Hackle is the most expensive material for dry flies. If you buy one good grizzly hackle neck you should be able to substitute this hackle for most patterns.

Some patterns that mimic a wide range of nymphs are the pheasant tail nymph and the gold ribbed hares ear. Those flies should produce nearly anywhere in the country.

Mustad hooks are cheap but get the job done.

I always reccommend getting to know the guys at the local fly shop. Word of mouth information is invaluable.

Last but not least, let the fish decide if a fly is well tied or not so don't knock yourself out tying the perfect fly. Some of my favorite flies were all torn up and hardly recognizable but still caught fish.

Comment

I buy my materials at janns netcraft, the prices are unbeatable... if you want to tie nymphs definitely invest in an flytying book that goes step by step. You can get a lot out of a whole pheasant body it has tons of different feathers that can be useful in a variety of applications!

Good Luck!

Comment

Agreed with buckhunter answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad