Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i want to start fly fishing and have just started tying flies what do i need to get started and catch fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i want to start fly fishing and have just started tying flies what do i need to get started and catch fish

i want to start fly fishing and have just started tying flies what do i need to get started and catch fish

Please do something about your multiple posts.

Comment

If you're tying flies, I hope you have a rod. If not for some reason, get one(obviously). You can get a great fly kit for under $200 that'll last you a good long time. Sometimes they include a DVD on how to get started. Watch this one or watch some videos online. After you get the basic idea on how to cast, get all your gear together. Tie all your lines together, and put a fly on it. Make sure you tie everything together with the appropriate knots. Choose a fly that matches the fish you want to catch. Finally, just get outside and just practice casting. You cant learn how to fly fish from watching videos of people doing it themselves, you gotta get out there and do it. Finally, just go to a local pond and try catching some panfish. After that expand the places you fish, and the species you wanna catch. Soon you'll be fishing like a pro.

Comment

Like mdhager said, your best bet would be to buy a cheap starter kit. Not sure what kind of fish your going to go after, but you can always practice in the back yard. Catching trout is a little more difficult, but a flyrod is lots of fun on bluegills in the spring and summer. Would suggest targeting them a little to help practicing your casting, and they are fun to catch.

Comment

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad