Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One more question. I am very interested in flyfishing. Could I learn to flyfish by this summer? I already have a rod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more question. I am very interested in flyfishing. Could I learn to flyfish by this summer? I already have a rod.

One more question. I am very interested in flyfishing. Could I learn to flyfish by this summer? I already have a rod.

Yes, I'm trying to learn right now, too. People have told me that I could easily learn the asics by the summer.

Comment

guys when i was like 13 or 14 i went to wal mart and bout an fiberglass rod and cheap real for about 20 bucks i read the back of the box and caught a few bass that night on it, its 10 oclock to 2 o clock so get out there and knot a few leaders good luck and keep at it

Comment

Its honestly not that hard to learn. Just spend some time in your yard and remember 10-2.

Comment

yes you can learn by this summer

Comment

go for it

Comment

Definitely. Get out in the yard and cast.

Comment

Should be easy. If your having problems, contact your local TU chapter, they have many fly fishermen and a couple would probably be willing to help out.

Comment

Sure. Go for it. Flyfisherman are probably the most eager teachers among sportsmen. At least they were for me. My cast isn't exactly elegant, never was, but they sure got me into it.

Flycasting is an exception, in that it's not all in the wrist.

Comment

fly fishing is not as hard as it seems, you need a lot of room to practice, so i would suggest going to a river or a pond first rather than a small stream..

Comment

and i would say you could learn by the summer, more and more practice will make you better however

Comment

yes easily

Comment

Try to locate a friend to teach you the basics. There might be flyfishing classes available, check with you local game and fish or rec dept. Buy an inexpensive rod, reel, line, etc. and some flies to match where ever you fish. Don't try to make it a difficult thing to do. Relax and practice casting in your yard and try for accuracy when fishing. Distance can come later. I see a lot of people simply feel that they must make flyfishing too complex. I used to haul around a hundred or more sizes and types of flies. A few years ago I dropped the numbers to about a dozen flies in 2 or 3 sizes. I catch just as many fish by keeping it simple.

Comment

I took it in the backyard and tried to hit my orange tree. The next day I was by the river not catching fish. Same thing with a jump shot, the more you shoot, the sooner you shoot better if you are doing it correctly. Just buy A River Runs Through It.

Comment

Lefty Kreh wrote a book that will help you from the day you start to the day you die. You can certainly pick up the basics quickly and then it only takes the rest of your life to keep getting better. Do not let that discourage you, it is part of the challenge and part of the fun. I caught fish my first time and still love it everytime I go. If you are fishing rivers try wet nymphs and make sure you are just bouncing on the bottom. Dry flies take more time and technique to master but you can still catch with them right away. Also ishawooa is right, a basic selection of flies will get you through almost any situation you encounter. You only need to let it get as complicated as you want it to. Enjoy!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The George Floyd case.
                                by 99explorer
                                Dream on boys. we've all seen an actual cold-blooded murder take place on TV, and the kneeling cop will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law....
                                Today, 12:57 AM
                              • The George Floyd case.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Body cam footage shows Floyd wasn't murdered. The cop kneeling on his neck might have been negligent, but his actions did not kill Floyd.
                                Minnesota...
                                Yesterday, 10:23 PM
                                by crm3006
                                My mistake, I didn't realize the Minnesota AG was going to prosecute. I thought it was U.S. Attorney Erica MacDonald. ellison being a muslim, there is...
                                Yesterday, 11:24 PM
                              • Masks
                                by crm3006
                                Here ya go, boys and girls. I'm not much in favor of posting links, but this one is both thought provoking and hilarious! ...
                                Yesterday, 11:17 PM
                                by FirstBubba
                                Ellison is Keith Ellison. Once a Rep from MN. He is also a Muslim.
                                He gave up his House seat to run for MN AG. That will set him up to run for...
                                Yesterday, 11:15 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X