• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    rudyglove27
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Rods
    The techniques employed for steelhead can be varied. The way to ensure success with steelhead is to be able to cover a lot of water in a day's fishing. Being able to minimize casting fatigue can be a real factor. The anglers who have the most endurance have an advantage. Good casting skills burn less energy than poor casting skills. A light weight powerful rod that casts smoothly at all ranges is essential.

Leave a comment:

• ETangler
    ⭐⭐⭐

• ETangler
    replied
    I would use straight 8lb. test flouro.

Leave a comment:

• gossy42
    replied
    Flurocarbon is a must. There are some different brands that can give you a littler diameter but be a heavier pound test. I have started using Rio Fluro Flex. Their 8.5 lb has a smaller diameter than most brands 6 lb test. The downfall is that it cost more. Another thing I am giving a try is to use around 2 to 3 foot mono leader then tie a very small ball bearing swivel then tie a smaller length of florocarbon. It saves on floro and doesnt seem to effect the fishing.

Leave a comment:

• kjflorian
    ⭐⭐

• kjflorian
    replied
    I agree 100% on flouro. I usually use 6# also, but depending on the color of the water, I have used a little heavier.

Flourocarbon is the only way to go. I lived in CO for awhile and the water was usually pretty clear. The fish were very line shy. What sold me on it was fishing up by Steamboat Springs one time and all I had was mono. Couldn't get a bite. Drove into town and told the Orvis dealer what was happening and he handed me my first spool of it. Drove back to the same hole I was fishing and caught a trout on my first cast and continued to catch fish the rest of the day.

Don't leave home without it.

Leave a comment:

• buckhunter
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

• buckhunter
    replied
    I buy a large spool of 6lb floro at wal-mart. Saves a lot of money and last forever.

Leave a comment:

• jbonifer24
    replied
    Depending on the water conditions you may be better off using fluorocarbon as stated above. When the water is low you want your leader as invisible as possible, but you also want your drift to be extremely natural in which case a tippet may be required so there is not so much drag. If the water is high, just use the fluorocarbon, you can't beat it.

Leave a comment:

• T
    replied
    Like joe said, dont use mono leaders and flouro will work fine.

Leave a comment:

• Joe_Cermele

• Joe_Cermele
    replied
    I agree with Charley. Straight fluoro will get it done, but fluoro is a must. Stay away from mono leaders.

Leave a comment:

• Charley
    replied
    Depends on the size of the steel head and the size of the fly. usually big fish= big flies.
    If it is a big fish that I am after, sometimes I don't use a leader and tippet, i just use 6 lb. fluorocarbon.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Pernice the fly rod winner
    ⭐⭐⭐⭐

• What type of tippet should I use for steel head when I fly fish

What type of tippet should I use for steel head when I fly fish

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad