Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When using dry flies do you use floatant on the fly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Yes, Great stuff!!!

Leave a comment:

• Flintlock
    replied
    Put me down in the Gink column.

Leave a comment:

• huntingkid95
    replied
    Yes because if you don't the fly will eventually sink. When the floatant wears off I put some more one.

Leave a comment:

• troutmad
    replied
    Give me GINK any day!
    When I started fly fishing 40 years ago, we used to put flakes of parafin and lighter fluid into a bottle, and prayed for warm temperatures. When it was under 75 degrees, I had to put the bottle under my armpit to keep it warm.
    I LOVE GINK! You don't have to keep it warm!

Leave a comment:

• flyfishermanj
    replied
    Most of the time, but just sometimes a sunken dry or one sitting lower in the surface film can be deadly!

Leave a comment:

• alpettibone
    replied
    I always put a little dab on there, especially if I am not on the river.

Leave a comment:

• kyka1865
    replied
    yep I ue Dave's bug float. I use it mostly on trout flies but also keep some with my bass gear for deer hair bugs and occasionally foam bugs

Leave a comment:

• Christian Emter
    replied
    Yes you have to, if you want it to float. Haha. I use the Gunk. It is cheap and it does any excellent job of keeping your fly floating.

Leave a comment:

• Charley
    replied
    Depends- long drifts, yes. I usually use it on the leader instead of an indicator.

Leave a comment:

• Charley
    replied
    Depends- long drifts, yes. I usually use it on the leader instead of an indicator.

Leave a comment:

• Charley
    replied

Leave a comment:

• codymeyer11
    replied
    Yes, b/c usually if it sinks than the fly looses its action....but dont use it on every dry fly, i had some instances where the sinking dry fly actually caught me more fish

Leave a comment:

• tourneyking734
    replied
    I only use the powder. The gel seems to give off a scent to the trout and drives off our trout from the fly

Leave a comment:

• kjflorian
    replied
    Yes, I do to. Same stuff as mentioned above.

Leave a comment:

• Alex Pernice the fly rod winner
    replied
    Yea, powder on flys using CDC and none on any other type of fly, only on the leader.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Pistol shooting form.
    by DakotaMan
    I never tried that one 99, You learn something every day....
    Today, 01:20 AM
  • Reply to Hunting pants?
    by PigHunter
    I wear cotton all winter. In Central Alabama we rarely get snow and have relatively mild temps. I won't hunt if it's below 20 degF. A camo poncho is what...
    Today, 01:17 AM
  • Hunting pants?
    by fitch270
    This one came to mind as I replied to PigHunter's thread up top about "What's on your belt?". I started drifting but decided it might be worth...
    Yesterday, 10:22 PM
  • Reply to Hunting pants?
    by DakotaMan
    I usually wear a loose fitting pair of fairly heavy camo pants and a camo shirt for the season from short sleeve cotton to heavy wool. If it gets colder,...
    Today, 01:13 AM
  • Reply to What's on your belt?
    by DakotaMan
    I always have the knife, sometimes the old Ruger Single Six. ...
    Today, 01:05 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X