Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Smallmouth State Record

No, it wasn't me. Not yet, anyway.

Our new state record smallie in New York State is a 8 lb, 5 ounce fish caught recently in Cayuga Lake, one of our nearby Finger Lakes. The Finger Lakes are really something. Hundreds of feet deep, enough to support coldwater fisheries for trout and salmon, but plenty of shallower water with great bass, panfish, and pike fishing, as well. Every one has a number of excellent trout-stream tributaries, too. We've even got sturgeon.

Last edited by MattM37; 06-17-2022, 01:37 PM.

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    No, it wasn't me. Not yet, anyway.

Our new state record smallie in New York State is a 8 lb, 5 ounce fish caught recently in Cayuga Lake, one of our nearby Finger Lakes. The Finger Lakes are really something. Hundreds of feet deep, enough to support coldwater fisheries for trout and salmon, but plenty of shallower water with great bass, panfish, and pike fishing, as well. Every one has a number of excellent trout-stream tributaries, too. We've even got sturgeon.
    Now every fisherman will flood that lake trying to catch a big one 🙃

The finger lakes also have Walleye,Muskie and a few of he lakes never freeze over that hold large population of Canada geese during the late waterfowl season.

After a frozen morning of goose hunting a field down near Wells college , I drove to the lake and people were on boats jigging for perch . It was 12 deg.🥶

We are really blessed with all the lakes , rivers , streams and public land here in NY

Comment

https://www.syracuse.com/outdoors/20...yuga-lake.html

Here is a picture of the bass

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

Now every fisherman will flood that lake trying to catch a big one 🙃

The finger lakes also have Walleye,Muskie and a few of he lakes never freeze over that hold large population of Canada geese during the late waterfowl season.

After a frozen morning of goose hunting a field down near Wells college , I drove to the lake and people were on boats jigging for perch . It was 12 deg.🥶

We are really blessed with all the lakes , rivers , streams and public land here in NY
        I should have said, "one of the Finger Lakes." Not that it couldn't be looked up once I said "record smallmouth." Oh, well. We could use an influx of tourism that isn't just a bunch of fancy wine-swillers.

Comment

I didn't read the article, did he release the fish or turn it into filets?

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            I didn't read the article, did he release the fish or turn it into filets?

He released it. It was caught during a Bass tournament , I believe all fish in Bass tournaments are released.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

He released it. It was caught during a Bass tournament , I believe all fish in Bass tournaments are released.

That's a "good thang"!

Comment

My hunting buddy has a place on Cayuga. We started hunting when about 14 - 15 years old. Best grouse hunter I ever met. We used to get a Pheasant almost every time we went out.
                Retired Dr. now.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                  My hunting buddy has a place on Cayuga. We started hunting when about 14 - 15 years old. Best grouse hunter I ever met. We used to get a Pheasant almost every time we went out.
                  Retired Dr. now.
                  Yes, it's an area with a lot of good bird-hunting tradition, along with fishing and wine. You might have heard of the Connecticut Hill grouse-research back in the 1930s. Connecticut Hill forest is just a few miles from Cayuga Lake, just on the other side of the city of Ithaca. That research back in the '30s was, I believe, the first major study of ruffed grouse in the Northeast, and the basis for much of the forest management still done today.

Comment

Have not heard of that research. The buddy I mentioned above actually started in the Cornell Vet Program, changed direction and went on in Medicine. He may have heard of the research. I am familiar with the Cornell program to save the Bald Eagle. Used to drive by Montezuma all the time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad