Deep Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Thoughts

After three days of fishing, I have these random thoughts and observations.

. Power windows and rod tips just don't mix. At least not when an idiot is driving the car. I've broken three rods that way over the years, most recently my favorite Ugly Stik stream-rod yesterday. The way I had my rod in the backseat, there was probably a one in a thousand chance it would shift and slip into the 2 inches of back window I had down, but that's exactly what it did.

. It's frustrating to hike a couple-three miles back into the woods to a little brookie stream and when you get there, you find fresh boot prints. There's really no such thing as a secret spot anymore. (Probably never was, but you could still kid yourself.)

. There are more grouse drumming this spring than there have been in the last ten years or more. Every place I've gone in the last week, four different patches of state forest, the family land, five or six different stretches of public-access river, there are grouse drumming.

. Pretty dry here in CNY this past week, and not much rain in the forecast. Streams are lowering quickly but still okay. A dry summer would be nice after all the mosquitoes last year, but hopefully it won't be a trout-killing kind of summer.

. Cold kielbasa in a hard roll makes a darn good sandwich, especially with horseradish mustard and a slice of dill pickle (I buy those "stackers," custom-made for burgers and sandwiches). A nice change from the same old ham-and-cheese and PB and J.

I always take my rods apart before I put them in a vehicle because of that reason.
    Youtube has ruined a lot of public land spots for hunters, fisherman , hikers and Campers.
    The Hunting public has ruined a lot of public land for Turkey Hunting in particular.

I've been to three state forests and have heard lots of Grouse drumming but have seen no Turkeys.
    Opening morning I had gobbling right at sunrise but as soon as they flew down they disappeared.
    Same thing this past weekend.
    Sunday I went to some clear cuts they did a couple of years ago and found some Turkey tracks but no Turkeys.
    Morgan hill state forest seems to have no Turkeys anymore.

I'm considering taking tomorrow off and Turkey hunting .

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
      I always take my rods apart before I put them in a vehicle because of that reason.
      Youtube has ruined a lot of public land spots for hunters, fisherman , hikers and Campers.
      The Hunting public has ruined a lot of public land for Turkey Hunting in particular.

I've been to three state forests and have heard lots of Grouse drumming but have seen no Turkeys.
      Opening morning I had gobbling right at sunrise but as soon as they flew down they disappeared.
      Same thing this past weekend.
      Sunday I went to some clear cuts they did a couple of years ago and found some Turkey tracks but no Turkeys.
      Morgan hill state forest seems to have no Turkeys anymore.

I'm considering taking tomorrow off and Turkey hunting .
      This was a one-piece rod. Knowing me, though, I could probably find a way to break a two-piece rod even if I took it apart.

I haven't been out a lot. Had one gobbler talking back from neighbor's property, nothing came of that.

It is strange. For a while there, it seemed like they had almost completely rebounded from that downturn a few years ago. I wonder if this bird-flu thing is a factor. I see that Featherstone has an article today about some eagles dying of a type of flu.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post

This was a one-piece rod. Knowing me, though, I could probably find a way to break a two-piece rod even if I took it apart.

I haven't been out a lot. Had one gobbler talking back from neighbor's property, nothing came of that.

It is strange. For a while there, it seemed like they had almost completely rebounded from that downturn a few years ago. I wonder if this bird-flu thing is a factor. I see that Featherstone has an article today about some eagles dying of a type of flu.
        In some areas they came back a little but not like the old days.
        I used to see huge flocks of Turkeys bow hunting in the fall but haven't seen any in at least three years.
        I was listening to a podcast today
        and they said DEC is considering changes to the season.
        I expect them to follow Ohio's 1 bird limit.

You can go up to Jefferson and St Lawrence county's and Birds are everywhere.

How's the fishing been?

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post

In some areas they came back a little but not like the old days.
          I used to see huge flocks of Turkeys bow hunting in the fall but haven't seen any in at least three years.
          I was listening to a podcast today
          and they said DEC is considering changes to the season.
          I expect them to follow Ohio's 1 bird limit.

You can go up to Jefferson and St Lawrence county's and Birds are everywhere.

How's the fishing been?
          Hot and cold. Trout on the rivers have been few and far between, but they're good fish when I get them. This past weekend was pretty slow. Lots of wading, only a couple fish. Surprisingly, the main rivers are warm enough already to just wade in shorts and sneakers. Didn't expect that after all that snowmelt just three weeks ago, even with these last couple of hot days.

Comment

Game populations rise and fall.
            Sitting a ladder stand probably 15 years ago, I counted over 80 turkeys cone down a road, single file!
            Another time, about 10 years ago, I stopped on the side of the road and watched 60 or 70 turkeys scattered across a hillside. 5 or 6 different big toms strutting for the numerous hens.
            About 5 years ago, I watched 6 bull gobblers "fighting" under some trees.
            Limit was 3 spring, 1 fall.
            Now, I seldom see a turkey and the limit is 1 spring, 1 fall.

Bad management? Disease?
            I dunno, but I sure miss seeing and hunting turkeys!

Comment

We had a brush/forest fire just down the road from us that started from tree limbs that ended up on the wires from the snowstorm a couple weeks back. Burned about 9 acres but would have been worse if it hadn’t hit a log road that acted as a fire break and gave firefighters access to the burn. It’s amazing how fast it’s dried out in a week or so. Seems like the wind has been non stop for months though.

The last few days I’ve seen toms on the move early afternoons. My guess is hens are starting to hang on their nests more, I’ve also found baby robins already. This weekend could be good.

We pounded some brookies in a WMU pond last weekend, tossed back a bunch before being checked by a Forest Ranger. He said the pond had been stocked about a month back. Water was cold, I’m thinking we may have to go back and kill a few for dinner sometime before the campground opens. They’ve had time to “clean out” from hatchery food and I wouldn’t feel as bad about it since they’re essentially put and take fish. I hadn’t fished that pond in decades and didn’t realize they stocked it with brook trout.

Comment

I was following an eagle nest in Washington DC and one of the little ones died of West Nile.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  We had a brush/forest fire just down the road from us that started from tree limbs that ended up on the wires from the snowstorm a couple weeks back. Burned about 9 acres but would have been worse if it hadn’t hit a log road that acted as a fire break and gave firefighters access to the burn. It’s amazing how fast it’s dried out in a week or so. Seems like the wind has been non stop for months though.

The last few days I’ve seen toms on the move early afternoons. My guess is hens are starting to hang on their nests more, I’ve also found baby robins already. This weekend could be good.

We pounded some brookies in a WMU pond last weekend, tossed back a bunch before being checked by a Forest Ranger. He said the pond had been stocked about a month back. Water was cold, I’m thinking we may have to go back and kill a few for dinner sometime before the campground opens. They’ve had time to “clean out” from hatchery food and I wouldn’t feel as bad about it since they’re essentially put and take fish. I hadn’t fished that pond in decades and didn’t realize they stocked it with brook trout.
                  What were you catching them on?

Comment

What were you catching them on?
                    I caught five on a chartreuse trout magnet bounced on the bottom like you’d work a tube jig for smallmouths. Real slow. One on a small silver Phoebe. Was actually a little surprised, I caught as many as the other three guys combined, two fishing worms and the Kid tossing a small Rapala before tying on a trout magnet.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad