Cooking Trout Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking Trout Heads

One of my favorite YouTubers, Andrew Stanley up in the Northwest Territories. Trout heads and moose steaks! I've used fish heads when I've made stock but never actually eaten any. We used to have a cat that would crunch them right down when I cleaned a few brookies. I haven't watched the video all the way through yet, but those are some pretty big trout heads. I know he's near Great Slave Lake so they were probably big lakers.

TheWildNorth Cooking Trout Heads On Open Fire - YouTube

I’m usually game for trying stuff like that but only from someone who knows what they’re doing. I’m not about to try it myself.

On our Canada trips we’d occasionally dig out the cheeks of the bigger pike we kept but we were up to our ears in fish fillets so didn’t bother with it mostly.

On a deep sea charter a few years back there were a couple Asian guys who took all the cod heads from the trip. One of the mates said they’d make fish head soup out of them. They were going to need a huge kettle, I can’t imagine what the smell would have been like, lol!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      I’m usually game for trying stuff like that but only from someone who knows what they’re doing. I’m not about to try it myself.

On our Canada trips we’d occasionally dig out the cheeks of the bigger pike we kept but we were up to our ears in fish fillets so didn’t bother with it mostly.

On a deep sea charter a few years back there were a couple Asian guys who took all the cod heads from the trip. One of the mates said they’d make fish head soup out of them. They were going to need a huge kettle, I can’t imagine what the smell would have been like, lol!
      Isn't there a Big Game fish that if you caught one you had to eat the gall bladder or something ?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad