Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
    Install a well and pump a few gallons now and then. Use a windmill
    Would love to. There are no underground water formations near here.
    Had a guy come drill a well some 30 years ago.
    He said he had drilled wells all over this area and had never hit a well.
    He spudded in on red clay. At about 65 feet, he hit a gravel formation about 6 inches thick. When he quit drilling, the bit was still in red clay.
    If the well had produced 5 gallons an hour, he could have made a successful well. It wouldn't.
    There is a well on the place. It produces only about 80 gallons, or less, per day. It's just surface seepage. Not really enough to make a significant difference.
    ...but a good idea!

Comment

I think you are on the right track talking to the fish supplier Bubba. If you have a county extension agency, they would be good to chat with as well. These folks usually know a lot about fish survival and propagation in your area. I've had small ponds I enjoyed fishing with catfish, largemouth bass and bluegills. Not sure they would all do well in your pond though. I used to fish for bass almost every morning and they got over five pounds even in a one acre stock pond. I really enjoyed the bass because they tugged the line and hit surface lures hard. The catfish were there to keep the pond clean. Enjoy... looks like fun for you two.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
        I think you are on the right track talking to the fish supplier Bubba. If you have a county extension agency, they would be good to chat with as well. These folks usually know a lot about fish survival and propagation in your area. I've had small ponds I enjoyed fishing with catfish, largemouth bass and bluegills. Not sure they would all do well in your pond though. I used to fish for bass almost every morning and they got over five pounds even in a one acre stock pond. I really enjoyed the bass because they tugged the line and hit surface lures hard. The catfish were there to keep the pond clean. Enjoy... looks like fun for you two.
        Yes sir, we have a county extension agent. Nice folks. But the supplier has been in the business for many years and is extremely knowledgeable.

I used to thing catfish was great eating. Then I went to Alaska and caught Pacific cod! Catfish is like carp compared to cod.
        Bass aren't bad, but just not real good table fare.

Bluegills and redears (we called them "cherry gill") are hardy in low oxygen situations, they won't overpopulate their space and are excellent table fare.

Comment

FB; How about an update on water level progress?

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
            FB; How about an update on water level progress?
            No rain since the last. Rain predicted for Friday night.
            Right now, except for evaporation, they are holding their own.

Comment

I had a beaver pond for about 40 years. It was from a native trout stream about 4-6 feet wide running trough tag alders and woods. Before I bought the property some of my dad's buddies told me about catching big trout in the pond over a decade ago. To summarize, the longer the pone remained the more it changed. When I got it it was a catail flat with almost no water ponded, a abandoned beaver less muck. Beavers came back over time, fish species were chub, perch, varieties of sunfish and small mouth bass. Over time largemouth became dominant. Pickerel were showing up in greater numbers as I left. Ospreys and eagles became frequent visitors and bass with healing strike marks were common. I used to enjoy eating the bass. I ignored the state seasons and are the bass shortly after ice out while the water was still cold. I don't think the water was over 6 ft deep but the surface area was probably nearly fifty acres. Deer, turkeys, geese, ducks it was a little Paradise for me. I'll miss it until the day I die. Enjoy your pond!!

Let's go Biden

​​​​​

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad