No announcement yet.

Steelhead: West or East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was going to Kodiak, I'd always bring back as much smoked salmon as I could!
    It never lasted very long....or shall we say, long enough!

I LOVE smoked salmon dip!

BTW! fitch270, Pacific Cod is an awesome whitefish that is very clean and lends itself to whatever recipe you like for white fish.

I quit(?) deep frying fish. Just too much grease.
    Anymore, I just coat the fish and use just enough EVOO in a nonstick skillet and fry(?) it until brown.
    It's still fried, but only a TBS of EVOO instead of five gallons of hog lard! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Marinate the salmon overnight in Teriyaki sauce and chopped up onion.
      Place salmon, skin side down on tin foil and place over a hot, charcoal fire.
      Be sure and grill more salmon than needed.
      Enjoy!
      I like to strain all the onion bits out of the marinade and place it on top of the salmon while it cooks. AWESOME!

Crumble leftover salmon in a bowl and add minced onion. Add 1 egg and enough flour to make a patty. Coat with Panko bread crumbs and pan fry. 😋🥰

The grilled salmon is awesome! The patties made from the grilled salmon are about a "G" on a scale of 1 to 10.

Will keep this in mind. Ironically just last week we tried canned pink salmon for the first time. The kids were grossed out at first, they’re not really fans of tuna even. My wife picked through the contents getting most of the ick out and ended up making patties as you described. They actually turned out pretty good. No leftovers but might be awhile before she makes them again. Still have three cans left, lol!

Comment

EVO and canola in the cupboard. Need to try peanut oil deep frying, we had another fish fry here at home after our camping feast and it didn’t go well. I had the canola smoking too much and the fish had that burned taste even though they weren’t over done. Not sure what I did different but it was disappointing.

Comment

My mother fed us "salmon croquettes" occasionally.
          We fed our kids mackerel patties sometimes.
          Not one of our favorite meals, but everybody ate and noone complained. 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
            Good article Matt , my cousin who lived in Washington state for several years preferred the Pacific sea run Rainbows . I never caught one but I imagine I would be satisfied ( well satisfied ) with a eastern steelhead . It’s on my bucket list ! Thanks Matt
            I visited a Cousin in Enaumclaw,WA and after a week of steady meals actually got tired of Crab and Salmon. I longed for a good steak.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Will keep this in mind. Ironically just last week we tried canned pink salmon for the first time. The kids were grossed out at first, they’re not really fans of tuna even. My wife picked through the contents getting most of the ick out and ended up making patties as you described. They actually turned out pretty good. No leftovers but might be awhile before she makes them again. Still have three cans left, lol!
              Try the canned sockeye salmon Costco sells. No skin, eyeballs, guts or feathers….

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post
                Try the canned sockeye salmon Costco sells. No skin, eyeballs, guts or feathers….
                No feathers is certainly a plus. I’m not certain the hotdogs my in-laws buy don’t contain all four of those “by-products” however…..

Unfortunately the nearest Costco is over two hours away. I keep reading good things about them and would entertain a membership if we had one close.
                Last edited by fitch270; 09-23-2021, 08:23 PM.

Comment

No feathers is certainly a plus. I’m not certain the hotdogs my in-laws buy don’t contain all four of those “by-products” however…..

Unfortunately the nearest Costco is over two hours away. I keep reading good things about them and would entertain a membership if we had one close.
                  I was in the Spokane Costco last night and no sockeye in stock. I’m sure there is a brand like they sell that says “no skin”. Worth the extra bucks.

The north Spokane Costco is an hour from our new digs during daylight hours and a bit longer if it’s dark. Too many critters to drive “efficiently”.

Since the Canajuns instituted their draconian policies for border crossings, my trips to Rivers Inlet and Vancouver Island fishing are on permanent hold. That was my primary source for salmon and halibut. Oh well.
                  Last edited by WA Mtnhunter; 09-25-2021, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

I was in the Spokane Costco last night and no sockeye in stock. I’m sure there is a brand like they sell that says “no skin”. Worth the extra bucks.

The north Spokane Costco is an hour from our new digs during daylight hours and a bit longer if it’s dark. Too many critters to drive “efficiently”.

Since the Canajuns instituted their draconian policies for border crossings, my trips to Rivers Inlet and Vancouver Island fishing are on permanent hold. That was my primary source for salmon and halibut. Oh well.
                    Bummer on the fishing.

Are you going to make it to Colorado this year or are other factors getting in the way?

Comment

Bummer on the fishing.

Are you going to make it to Colorado this year or are other factors getting in the way?
                      Going to CO hunting October 30-Nov 7. Drew a mule deer tag and my son got a cow elk tag so we are set. I’ll probably buy an otc bull tag.
                      blessings

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The 25th Amendment
                        by bowhunter75richard
                        It is rather shocking, although it should not be, since it involves rr ! He appears to have no concerns, worries or ill thoughts of the possibility that...
                        Today, 03:01 PM
                      • The 25th Amendment
                        by FirstBubba
                        Kamala refers to "Creepy" Joe as the Titanic!
                        Dr. Jill keeps asking if they can use the 25th Amendment to remove a sitting VEEP! LOL!...
                        Yesterday, 07:02 PM
                      • Reply to The Greatest
                        by jhjimbo
                        Benoit family was from Vermont although I am sure they hunted Maine as well....
                        Today, 02:02 PM
                      • The Greatest
                        by jhjimbo
                        Subject: Great Hunters

Great story about great hunters. Check out the stock on Larry Benoits' Remington 760, 30-06.In the Adirondacks there...
                        Yesterday, 10:03 AM
                      • Reply to The Greatest
                        by jhjimbo
                        o.k., i'll try that - I thinkk I hit select all.

I highlighted the paragraph and hit the 'I' and nothing happened except the highlight was...
                        Today, 02:00 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X