On the Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Lake

Spent about 6 hours on Lake Erie. Flat when I went out, 15 knot wind and 4 footers by the time I came in. Of the several fishing parties I talked to, everyone got their limit of Walleyes. They did say it took a little longer than usual.

I can't remember if I mentioned the new population estimate. Each year the State drags a net in the same area and counts walley. They caught so many this year they upped their Lake estimate to 40 million (just counting Walleye)
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 07-05-2021, 11:30 PM.

Walleye been a big hit up there seems like the lake holds a good amount. Wonder how long it’s going to be like that. All those people overfishing for walleye. I say another 5 years and walleye populations will start to come down.

Seems like a lot Lakes go threw good and bad phases.

Comment

Originally posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
      Walleye been a big hit up there seems like the lake holds a good amount. Wonder how long it’s going to be like that. All those people overfishing for walleye. I say another 5 years and walleye populations will start to come down.

Seems like a lot Lakes go threw good and bad phases.
      This spectacular season is the result of several periods of mild weather during the spawn some 5 and 7 years ago. Usually storms limit the hatch but there were a few years in a row where it was calm. The perch are being hit hard right now, probably from all the 40 million Walleye in the Lake and the over fishing by commercial on the Canadian side. State expects it to be like this for 5 years. Google Port Clinton, Ohio and you can see the impact of the great fishing. Good place for a charter to get on the water - 6 pack charter (6 people) or a head boat, all out of Port Clinton. Worth a trip.
      Last edited by jhjimbo; 07-06-2021, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo

How many did you catch?
        I did not fish but a guy coming in the marina gave me a bunch he did not want - i think he was over the limit.
        My freezer is full of Walleye, Perch and Salmon so I do not have to fish very often. (venison to)

Comment

I had a good couple hours on the river yesterday, about 6:30pm 'til dark. No walleyes, but three good smallmouths, a couple of bald eagle fly-by's, cedar waxwings and barn swallows swooping all around me eating bugs out of the air.

Got the biggest smallmouth, 16-17 incher, fat and hefty, on a small silver Rapala jerked downstream through a long riffle. Second two, both just a little smaller than the first one, on the old river standby, the Rebel Wee Crawfish, in this nice long, deep, slow moving pool alongside a high clay bank.

Caught a half-dozen of those fallfish I hate, too, but at least I got to enjoy some bass, too. Beautiful evening, nice and clear after a humid, hazy day. I used to really hate summer but then I got into this river fishing more and more, and there's nothing like wading in the water on an evening like that.

Comment

Comment

99 needs to go on a diet, bad.

Comment

Go out on the Lake and go fishing, or swimming or just crusing - it's called Social Distancing

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad