Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salmon face extinction throughout the US west.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmon face extinction throughout the US west.

Bad news for sportsmen.

https://news.yahoo.com/salmon-face-e...090045937.html

Blow up the dams. Sure there’s other reasons for them disappearing as well.

Comment

California is loading young salmon into tankers, driving them to the sea due to severe drought.

https://news.yahoo.com/california-lo...124336488.html

Comment

I don't think our federal government has had too much concern for native Americans (or wildlife, for that matter) over the last few hundred years. Where I grew up, the Sioux Nation depended on buffalo for their sustenance. The federal government paid a bounty to wipe them out and starve the Native Americans. When I was a kid, I could see hundreds of pheasants a day. Now you have to hunt for a day to see a few. That is because of new farming techniques, pesticides, etc.

I guess as progress goes on, wildlife suffers. It's pretty rare that species endangerment occurs but it does happen.

Comment

Salmon are native to Western North America while pheasants are not. Bison were to an extent eradicated to weaken the indigenous population. Salmon are in a tough situation because of the needs of a high population of Americans in an area with traditionally irratic amounts of precipitation. Beavers can cause a local extinction of salmon and other species. Humans can do it over a much wider area. Salmon and steelhead can recolonise an area given favorable conditions and time.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad